Discuss My last 'non Amd 3' CU Install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Put this in today, I hope it doesn't burst into flames.:tongue3: Didn't have the time to faff about and get the cabling 'perfect' as I had so much to do today but I think it's ok. With the BG boards I generally 're number' the earth bar as to me it's illogical having the CPCs running in the opposite order of the neutrals,I'll miss the insulated CUs. Sorry about the
poor photo. :)
WP_20151221_16_12_30_Pro.jpg

Not being critical, but seeing as this is a hi integrity unit, why don't you leave a blank between the main switch and RCD1? It looks like you have space

Not being critical, but seeing as this is a hi integrity unit, why don't you leave a blank between the main switch and RCD1? It looks like you have space

I just think it's better not to leave a spare non RCD 'way' in case some DIYer attempts to connect an electric shower in the future for example...

I wonder what your client will think in a weeks time if they find out their newly installed board no longer complies with current regulations?
I've been installing Am3 boards since the BYB. I think it's poor practice not to give clients up to date installations whether you agree with new regulations or not.

I wonder what your client will think in a weeks time if they find out their newly installed board no longer complies with current regulations?
I've been installing Am3 boards since the BYB. I think it's poor practice not to give clients up to date installations whether you agree with new regulations or not.

How do you know the OP didn't offer both options?

"Did not have the time to faff about, too much on, think it will be ok" you are falling into the "that will do" category, not a good sign, every customer deserves the best, your reputation is worth more than anything, always give 100% it will pay off in the long term.

"Did not have the time to faff about, too much on, think it will be ok" you are falling into the "that will do" category, not a good sign, every customer deserves the best, your reputation is worth more than anything, always give 100% it will pay off in the long term.
Those of us that operate in the real world don't have time to make it look like a masterpiece, Dave's example is perfectly neat and acceptable IMO.

Yes Nice Job , Is that not a gray cable in circuit 4 ? , I have noticed that since we started using brown cables they don't seam to ever use the same shade, I know reds were slightly different but not as much as the browns

And AMD2 fuseboards will still be installed by muppets and builders until they run out in 2016

Very true Murdoch. But they will never run out, because as we all know they only catch fire in houses! Never in shops etc!!! They will probably just get more expensive due to less demand. :tounge_smile:

Put this in today, I hope it doesn't burst into flames.:tongue3: Didn't have the time to faff about and get the cabling 'perfect' as I had so much to do today but I think it's ok. With the BG boards I generally 're number' the earth bar as to me it's illogical having the CPCs running in the opposite order of the neutrals,I'll miss the insulated CUs. Sorry about the
poor photo. :)
View attachment 31007

How are the BG boards now mate? I sort of stopped using them around a year ago due to poor screws/terminal blocks, and having to bin numerous MCBs due to the bottom cage clamp grounding out. If that's the correct terminology!

Looks like a top job to me lad. Some people spend too much time faffing about with cu changes and i dont know why. Its a functioning product, not a masterpiece.

So if it hasn't got an Amd 3 tag it doesn't comply then not sure that is the way I read the regs, it is not clear what the exact location of the board is so it may still comply with the requirements of Amd 3 although it is an insulated board

And AMD2 fuseboards will still be installed by muppets and builders until they run out in 2016

Will they ever run out and why should they when it is still viable to use them

Very true Murdoch. But they will never run out, because as we all know they only catch fire in houses in that high risk area called London! Never in shops etc!!! They will probably just get more expensive due to less demand. :tounge_smile:

Corrected that for you!!

The 'client' is fully aware and although my advice was freely offered he'd already chosen and bought the board in the picture, never wise to make assumptions. And to be honest I'd say it is an up to date installation, it was only done yesterday.:prrr:

The 'client' is fully aware and although my advice was freely offered he'd already chosen and bought the board in the picture, never wise to make assumptions. And to be honest I'd say it is an up to date installation, it was only done yesterday.:prrr:

And on the 1st Jan 2016 some muppet will be saying its "illegal"!

I can see how what I wrote could give that sort of impression , poor choice of wording from me perhaps, however I can assure you that I do NOT fall into that category, I meant I just didn't have the time to be ultra fussy with the aesthetics due to the customer pestering me to do a couple of other jobs while there , all terminations were checked and checked again for tightness, single conductors all doubled and the used cable entries on the top of the CU were all sealed with clear silicone to meet and in fact exceed the IP4X requirement. All circuits were also tested properly.
I always put 100% into my work and it does pay off, have work booked in right up to the end of March. :)

Reply to My last 'non Amd 3' CU Install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net