Discuss Napit , full or defined scope in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

p11jor

Hi all was just looking on the napit website they do a defined scope for dwellings, it says new circuits etc are covered.What does everyone know about this ?I have applied for napit but full scope, I am a house basher nothing else, never been into industry and never will.Am I better changing to defined scope as if they start whipping 3 phase questions out and I have got to remember back a few years ago to collage days (mostly theory) them I will look a fool.I do say 8-10 rewires a year, alot of kitchens etc.What do you guys know/think I should do?

Defined scope is normally where only a subset of work is done (for Part P ... IE for kitchen fitters/plumbers). If you do full rewires you'll need full scope even thought it's domestic only.

Defined scope only allows works covered by minor works cert.
For new circuits or any works that go back to DB (EIC) full scope is required.
Domestic only

Defined scope only allows works covered by minor works cert.
For new circuits or any works that go back to DB (EIC) full scope is required.
Domestic only
Sorry, that's not correct.

From the napit site:

"Defined Scope Scheme
The defined scope scheme (Level B) covers New Circuits, and adding to Existing Circuits. It is aimed at non-electricians working in dwellings who need to carry out electrical work as part of the normal jobs...."

as usual topquark is right. only for when you have to do some electrical work to make your kitchen, extension, conservatory, bog, etc. , light up after dark.

you're missing the point. defined scope is for people who only do electrics as part of their main work. they ( that is kitchen fitters, builders, wet wipes, wood butchers, etc. who are too tight fisted to get a proper spark in when they can use their own laborer on minimum wage )

If it's new circuits then surely say 10-12 new circuits could be argued as defined?
You're of course welcome to have the argument with them ;)

It's really aimed at allied trades like plumbers, kitchen fitters (bog cleaners ;) ). Usually done during the course of their work. EG a heating engineer installing a new boiler or a plumber installing a new electric shower (with associated new (undersized? :p) wiring).

Not sure the testing NAPIT do is specific to the type of work normally done by the applicant, but if you want to do house bashing then you'll need full scope anyway.

Imagine other trades being hawked off like our trade

Can anyone see the sense in electricians being defined scope boiler installers because they fit a switch in the airing cupboard and plumb in a shower
The electrician is now permitted to install the boiler because its part of the work I carry out in their normal job

Defined scope
This is the one big issue that really irritates me
How could our rulers ever have devalued the trade to such a point that they would have even contemplated this bit part dangerous monstrosity of a carve up to the trade

It was bad enough being a selective carve up to our trade,but we are all aware that plumbers and kitchen fitters routinely expand their piece of our cake with rewires and consumer unit changes and so on
There is nothing for the householder to distinguish between a pretend spark who is another trade and the genuine article electrician

People tend to get up in arms about length of training for our trade for full blown sparkability,but the much bigger problem and outrage is this defined scope monstrosity

The monstrosity created by our own industry, shamefull isn't it

Des56 good piece.....when we patch in then do we start calling ourselves defined plasterers only allowed to skim bedrooms & conservatories

Defined scope, if it has to exist, IMHO, should be restricted to minor works only. How long will it be before a Napit defined scope member starts doing rewires as the scope allows new circuits.

Madness!

and defined wood butchers as we drill holes in joists. ( at least we drill them in an approximation of a straight line )

Defined scope, if it has to exist, IMHO, should be restricted to minor works only. How long will it be before a Napit defined scope member starts doing rewires as the scope allows new circuits.

Madness!
It's just as easy to misuse an existing circuit, in fact probably more likely :D

Can I be a defined scope gas fitter please :p

Last edited:
Imagine other trades being hawked off like our trade

Can anyone see the sense in electricians being defined scope boiler installers because they fit a switch in the airing cupboard and plumb in a shower
The electrician is now permitted to install the boiler because its part of the work I carry out in their normal job

Defined scope
This is the one big issue that really irritates me
How could our rulers ever have devalued the trade to such a point that they would have even contemplated this bit part dangerous monstrosity of a carve up to the trade

It was bad enough being a selective carve up to our trade,but we are all aware that plumbers and kitchen fitters routinely expand their piece of our cake with rewires and consumer unit changes and so on
There is nothing for the householder to distinguish between a pretend spark who is another trade and the genuine article electrician

People tend to get up in arms about length of training for our trade for full blown sparkability,but the much bigger problem and outrage is this defined scope monstrosity

The monstrosity created by our own industry, shamefull isn't it

Yes it is Shameful, and that's an understatement!!!

Who the hell dreamed up this designation?? Don't tell me, the same organisations that take money off you and the plumbers, heating engineers, kitchen fitters.... Good for them i see and bad for the electricians ...Yet AGAIN!!

all depends if it's a full scope resurrection or a defined scope resurrection. i'll have to email napit.

Reply to Napit , full or defined scope in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net