Discuss Need some advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You lost me....
an eicr should come with up to 7 pages of information, giving the customer an easy to understand description of the condition of their installation, page 6 usually has the list of remedial work to be completed.

writing "pass" in place of results is cutting a major corner in my opinion, id expect exact results for my money.

if a customer orders something incompatible/unsafe for the job they require i refuse to do it until they agree to use the proper equipment, or they can get someone else.

I would, but I fear the mudslinging will start if someone here recognises the handwriting of the person who wrote the report.
Not going down that route.

Just looked at the report again and it was a full EICR as stated on the first page.

Hum .... So you do have the report ......

3 pagesis not a full EICR ....

Something is very smelly

Hum .... So you do have the report ......

3 pagesis not a full EICR ....

Something is very smelly

Yes we have the report.

It seems the report was carried out half heartedly without diligence and a regard for the regs.

Nothing about 3 lighting cables in one RCBO, nothing about the visible damage, nothing about the installation not having a certificate even though the CU was changed, nothing about remedial work that was obvious. The visible problems alone would have set alarm bells ringing.

All I can say is that the report shows some testing. It says all testing passed. No floorboards were lifted and the condition of the installation is unsatisfactory. That's all he wrote, nothing else.

We had one Electrician quote for the job already. He saw the EICR and had a few choice words. Complete crap was one of them.

Time to come clean .... Why are you getting quotes for a rewire of a property you don't own ......

I'm retired from Electrical contracting.

My wife's cousin has signed a long term lease on the building and was hoping to open the doors in a couple of weeks.
They had the decorators in, sockets started tripping.

Calls me asking for advice. I pop over for a look and give them the gory details. The building hasn't seen an Electrician or a proper tradesman since the 70's.

The contract wanted the new occupier to pay for any building work! Solicitor should have seen the word 'Unsatisfactory' on the EICR but has admitted he missed it!!!

Now I know why they didn't get the keys to the property before they signed the contract. It's a hovel.

Nothing about 3 lighting cables in one RCBO, nothing about the visible damage, nothing about the installation not having a certificate even though the CU was changed, nothing about remedial work that was obvious. The visible problems alone would have set alarm bells ringing.

All I can say is that the report shows some testing. It says all testing passed. No floorboards were lifted and the condition of the installation is unsatisfactory. That's all he wrote, nothing else.
What's wrong with three lighting cables in one device. I've been to several properties with newish CU, where owner has no access to CU certificate, either they didn't get one or they've mislaid it, doesn't condemn the install. I don't do EICR's so perhaps not wise to comment, but I understand quite a few get down without lifting floorboards, guess its what was agreed before hand?

Edit, mistake, tis Saturday!

Last edited:
That still doesn't make sense - its seen an electrician recently who has done a very dubious ECIR, probably to the earlier version of the regs ....

Maybe your cousin should start again, appoint their own spark through local recommendation and get a full and proper EICR done.

I'm retired from Electrical contracting.

My wife's cousin has signed a long term lease on the building and was hoping to open the doors in a couple of weeks.
They had the decorators in, sockets started tripping.

Calls me asking for advice. I pop over for a look and give them the gory details. The building hasn't seen an Electrician or a proper tradesman since the 70's.

The contract wanted the new occupier to pay for any building work! Solicitor should have seen the word 'Unsatisfactory' on the EICR but has admitted he missed it!!!

Now I know why they didn't get the keys to the property before they signed the contract. It's a hovel.

Guess the only thing you can do, is pay for your own EICR, and see what you can do from there? Think telectrix would be your best bet, there are other electricians available :)

What's wrong with three lighting cables in one device. I've been to several properties with newish CU, where owner has no access to CU, either they didn't get one or they've mislaid it, doesn't condemn the install. I don't do EICR's so perhaps not wise to comment, but I understand quite a few get down without lifting floorboards, guess its what was agreed before hand?

????

It's simple.
If you change a CU and have three lighting circuits you should test and separate them. The handyman who installed the board didn't do that. Nether did he split the 2 radial circuits onto their own RCBO's. Instead he put them on one 32A RCBO.

3 lighting circuits on one breaker. It trips.....And you can't see, you trip and break your neck. That's why we have regulations.

????

It's simple.
If you change a CU and have three lighting circuits you should test and separate them. The handyman who installed the board didn't do that. Nether did he split the 2 radial circuits onto their own RCBO's. Instead he put them on one 32A RCBO.

3 lighting circuits on one breaker. It trips.....And you can't see, you trip and break your neck. That's why we have regulations.

A circuit is defined by the circuit breaker, NOT the number of cables

How do you know that 2 cables in a 32A breaker isn't a ring?

????

It's simple.

Okay, but if those circuits functioned as part of one area, one floor for example, that could be deemed acceptable. So to clarify, all the lighting for the property is controlled from one device?

Incidentally, you've come on here for advice, it doesn't bode well trying to be patronising, not withstanding you will get criticism. Just trying to be of assistance. :D

That still doesn't make sense - its seen an electrician recently who has done a very dubious ECIR, probably to the earlier version of the regs ....

Maybe your cousin should start again, appoint their own spark through local recommendation and get a full and proper EICR done.

The report was carried out last month and should have been done to the current regs as his EICR report states.

Not getting the keys before the contract is signed. The lawyer missing the word 'Unsatisfactory' on the EICR report. It's all dubious.

Reply to Need some advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net