Discuss Neighbors electric running through the roof of garage. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mcaddy

I'm looking at buying a new house, however I spotted that power from an adjoining property runs up the side of the garage and appears to go through the roof void. I say appears as the garage roof has been dry lined, and no hatch is present.

The House was built in Dec 2009, I've yet to find out if the power was in place when it was built or if it was a retrofit, in either case what sort of paperwork can I expect to find to assure the legality of the installation and the right of access over the property?

Regards

Mike

Hi mcaddy, can we keep any further questions regarding said property in the 2 threads you have started and not create any more new threads on this similar subject matter, thankyou.

You should raise this question with your Solicitor........... if ANYTHING like power for another property runs through your property then it should be included in the deeds with the relevant notes.

You should raise this question with your Solicitor........... if ANYTHING like power for another property runs through your property then it should be included in the deeds with the relevant notes.

I had assumed such, just hope it's all above board and doesn't hold up the purchase!

I would expect there to be a wayleave with the deeds if this is above board

Is this a DNO cable or a metered supply from a mains piller

Is this a DNO cable or a metered supply from a mains piller

Neither? I've only been able to observe the conduit tacked to the garage wall, I believe it's fed from the neighbors house. Behind the gate is there back garden, there garage is to the left of the one in the picture.

MRC_0186.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it's power? That looks like the sort of conduit cable companies use. It could be satellite TV, data, CCTV, garden lighting, or any number of things.
It's worth finding out what it is though.

Are you sure it's power? That looks like the sort of conduit cable companies use. It could be satellite TV, data, CCTV, garden lighting, or any number of things.
It's worth finding out what it is though.

Whatever it is it's running through the garage of a house I want to buy! The perceived wisdom is that it's most likely to be a spur from the house to the garage.

We are not currently getting very far as the vendor is having some sort of temporary amnesia on the topic, this enquiry appears to be the only thing holding up the entire proceedings.

I'm thinking the best course of action would be to cut the cable, inserting some sort of inline switch. this way the service can be disabled until such time as the requisite paperwork is complete.

Lets assume I do secure the cooperation of the neighbor and we can overcome the live working aspect, what would be a suitable inline device to give me control over the service? Is that a difficult question without details of the cable and it's rating?

I'm sure you'll all laugh me out the forum but I'm going to ask the question anyway.

If i'm unable to secure the cooperation of the neighboring property is there any way I can 'disable' the service in such a way as to permit a subsequent restoration of service? I know this requires live working and sounds like madness but It'd be good to know if it is technically possible?

The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989

Work on or near live conductors

14. No person shall be engaged in any work activity on or so near any live conductor (other than one suitably covered with insulating material so as to prevent danger) that danger may arise unless–

(a)it is unreasonable in all the circumstances for it to be dead; and

(b)it is reasonable in all the circumstances for him to be at work on or near it while it is live; and

(c)suitable precautions (including where necessary the provision of suitable protective equipment) are taken to prevent injury.

It would be against the law.

Wait for a power cut and work quickly! :D

(That's not a serious suggestion.)

Anyway, surely it makes no odds to you whether it's live or not. The problem is that it's there.

Get it checked out by a professional, maybe the property you wish to purchase is supplying power to the neighbours property!

Whatever it is it's running through the garage of a house I want to buy! The perceived wisdom is that it's most likely to be a spur from the house to the garage.

We are not currently getting very far as the vendor is having some sort of temporary amnesia on the topic, this enquiry appears to be the only thing holding up the entire proceedings.

I'm thinking the best course of action would be to cut the cable, inserting some sort of inline switch. this way the service can be disabled until such time as the requisite paperwork is complete.

Lets assume I do secure the cooperation of the neighbor and we can overcome the live working aspect, what would be a suitable inline device to give me control over the service? Is that a difficult question without details of the cable and it's rating?

I'm sure you'll all laugh me out the forum but I'm going to ask the question anyway.

If i'm unable to secure the cooperation of the neighboring property is there any way I can 'disable' the service in such a way as to permit a subsequent restoration of service? I know this requires live working and sounds like madness but It'd be good to know if it is technically possible?

This is the craziest thing I've heard for a while. You don't even know for certain what it is or what it does, let alone the issue of cutting into a possibly live cable if it is indeed a mains feed to somewhere. Daz

I have to ask, is this garage adjoined to the gable of your house and the 'conduit' runs into your house , as has been said an investigation in to the garden for lighting may be a clue.
Have a look at the electrical certification , it should be on there if all the documentation is supplied with installation diagrams . If you don't have access to them ,then that is another problem you have.

Can you post a photo of the top and bottom of the conduit/capping/whatever it is so that we can see a bit of detail. Daz

My best guess is that the person you are buying from has either got a verbal agreement with the person with the garage next door to yours to run the cable through the roof area, or more likely it was done when the house was built, in this case there should be something in the deeds but I wouldn't bet on it. That is why you are paying solicitors (And don't do anything with the cable unless sorted by the solicitor as if it is all above board you would be committing criminal damage and could land yourself with a huge bill to reinstate)

Reply to Neighbors electric running through the roof of garage. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net