Discuss Neutral and ground separated in Main panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Railz23

DIY
Reaction score
Why would neutrals and grounds be separated in a main panel? This is a new build with GFCI breakers for the range and dryer; does that have something To do with it?

Why would neutrals and grounds be separated in a main panel? This is a new build with GFCI breakers for the range and dryer; does that have something To do with it?
By code you can mix the ground wires and neutrals in the first panel after the meter. There is absolutely no harm in separating the grounds from neutrals since the box is bonded to the neutral bar so no harm. Any panel fed from your main panel you then must install a ground bar and separate the neutrals from the grounds.

By code you can mix the ground wires and neutrals in the first panel after the meter. There is absolutely no harm in separating the grounds from neutrals since the box is bonded to the neutral bar so no harm. Any panel fed from your main panel you then must install a ground bar and separate the neutrals from the grounds.
There is a box outside the house near the meter so that makes perfect sense now. Thank you. I am adding a sub panel right next to the main panel inside. Would I still need another ground rod? Or since it’s coming right from the other box, is it ok?

There is a box outside the house near the meter so that makes perfect sense now. Thank you. I am adding a sub panel right next to the main panel inside. Would I still need another ground rod? Or since it’s coming right from the other box, is it ok?
By code your supposed to install another ground rod outside and use # 6 bare wire and connect the existing ground rod to the new one. Sub Fed panels are not required to have a ground rod. Make sure you use 4 wires to your panel 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground wire from your main panel

Reply to Neutral and ground separated in Main panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net