Currently reading:
Neutral lead on RCBO'S

Discuss Neutral lead on RCBO'S in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kev2632

What exactly are the neutral leads for? and if a neutral to earth happened on a board with just RCBO'S in it, why doesnt the fault travel along that neutral and affect the other RCBO's?

Your mixing things up here are you talking about 2 rcbo's which monitor only the balance of the circuit attached or as you have just suggested 2 x rcd's in a split board which have independant neutral bars for their respective rcd and these bars may monitor several circuits each, someone at work or college has obviously explained this but are you sure you explained what you meant to them as the answer you got may be to a different senerio.

Dont get confused about what a borrowed neutral is; in a split 2 x rcd board you have a dedicated neutral bar to each rcd, if the borrowed neutral you talk about is on a circuit on the same rcd then it wont be detected by the rcd, but if the borrowed neutral is pinched from the circuits on an opposing rcd then it will trip the rcd that detects the imbalance, i would for the moment forget about neutral/earth faults as the rcd's will trip regardless of this.

Last edited:
I'm talking about 2 individual rcbo detecting there own circuits what happen if the neutral from rcbo 1 happened to join up with rcbo 2? As in they have borrowed a neutral from circuit 1 and it used at somepoint in circuit 2 would that trip both rcd as the neutrals are mixed up or does it not matter as its one common neutral bar for the installation??? Sorry im just getting confused and cant get my head round this :(

I'm talking about 2 individual rcbo detecting there own circuits what happen if the neutral from rcbo 1 happened to join up with rcbo 2? As in they have borrowed a neutral from circuit 1 and it used at somepoint in circuit 2 would that trip both rcd as the neutrals are mixed up or does it not matter as its one common neutral bar for the installation??? Sorry im just getting confused and cant get my head round this :(
In this set up one rcbo will trip a majority of the time, once it trips it isolates the link to the other rcbo through its double pole switch, although its possible that once in a blue moon they could trip together as you have to remember that if once rcbo gains extra neutral current then the other rcbo will loose it and both are out of balance, but also to take into account is natural leakage existing so the rcbo that has a higher background leakage will operate the first and as mentioned before it then isolates the link between the 2 neutral leaving the other rcbo on.

Yea I'm understanding what you mean so for instance I've seen inside a contractor box where there which looks like more than lighting circuit passing through it, every circuit within this building is fed from it's each individual rcbo, but all the neutrals are joined inside the box in a connector block, wouldnt that affect each rcbo?!

if its the supply neutral to the rcbo's that are linked this is ok nd wont affect the operation of any rcbo, if you have neutrals on the out going side of an rcbo linked in a connector then they are neutrals of the same circuit and probably just been brought back to box for convenience. I feel you are mis-interpreting what you see.

Yea thats probably what it is, neutrals of the same circuit yea? But for example If the neutrals of different circuits were all joined together in 1connector block that will not work ? Because they are fed from two different rcbos is that correct yea? And the rcbo will see an imbalance is that right? Thanks so much for your help so far

Yea thats probably what it is, neutrals of the same circuit yea? But for example If the neutrals of different circuits were all joined together in 1connector block that will not work ? Because they are fed from two different rcbos is that correct yea? And the rcbo will see an imbalance is that right? Thanks so much for your help so far
By Jove i think you got it! correct.... !!!!!!

Hahaha!! Sorry lad :p thanks so much for your help, so basically you can't borrow neutrals from other circuits and use them in other circuits when they are rcbo protected as that will trip the rcbo as it senses as imbalance from
Another circuit yea? Thanks

Just to re-iterate kev, when one trips it effectively isolates the other rcbo from the fault so usually on one trips, but occasionally it can trip both together but its rare as background leakage on the circuits will put one rcbo closer to the threshhold than the other as well as trip times and mA needed to trip will very slighty from rcbo to rcbo.
So in a nutshell, several factors are in play as to which one is gonna trip thus its rare for them to trip together, and after one has tripped it blocks the return path so the other rcbo holds.

Just to re-iterate kev, when one trips it effectively isolates the other rcbo from the fault so usually on one trips, but occasionally it can trip both together but its rare as background leakage on the circuits will put one rcbo closer to the threshhold than the other as well as trip times and mA needed to trip will very slighty from rcbo to rcbo.
So in a nutshell, several factors are in play as to which one is gonna trip thus its rare for them to trip together, and after one has tripped it blocks the return path so the other rcbo holds.

Thanks very much Darkwood,

So the reason the path is blocked is because the Neutral has been shut off with RCBO tripping yea, and isnt able to travel back along the neutral lead to the other rcbo? Is that correct?

Thanks, i was just having a looking at that drawing there on page two tony drew, say for instance there was a neutral to earth fault on RCBO 1 , and it trips RCBO 1, then on RCBO 2,Current flows up the live and back down the neutral as normal, but wont any current flow across that neutral link and touch the earth fault? or how will that work???

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Neutral lead on RCBO'S in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock