Discuss New Extractor Fans Not Working - Wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi we have just had two new extractor fans installed, one in the bathroom, one in the toilet, I am sure they are correctly wired, however the run on timers are not working, just goes on and off with the light, the toilet one is not working at all :( I have tried switching the wires for the live and switched live but to no avail. As you know the rose has PL, SL and N, the isolator has L1, L2 and N, the fans that we are working with (Xpelair simply silent) annoyingly has L, N, T which I presume means Live, Neutral and Timer? Below is the one that is not working at all, the other is wired the same but just the timer not working! Comes on with the light and goes off with the light.

Attachments

• IMG_8059.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8060.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8061.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 51
Welcome. I'll be honest there is some pretty poor wiring going on there, unsleeved cpcs (earths) or absence of cpcs. When were they fitted.
just what i was going to say. cpc's chopped off????? Whatever it's not compliant and you need to get the installer back to rectify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I'll be honest there is some pretty poor wiring going on there, unsleeved cpcs (earths) or absence of cpcs. When were they fitted.

I am not an electrician, so don't know the terms, what are cpcs? The unsleeved earths in the rose were there originally, when we bought the house, they are nothing to do with the installation of the fan
[automerge]1572518927[/automerge]
They were just done. It looks right to me if I check wiring diagrams online, perhaps I have a couple of faulty ones but seems unlikely as there are two! One not working at all and one the timer not running on, actually the one not working at all is the one with the old exposed earths, shall I turn the leccy off and sleeve them?

Last edited:
cpc'sare the earth wires (circuit protective conductors). even if those bare cpc's were there before, the fan installer should have rectified this. bet you he's not provided a certificate for the work, and all importantly, is the circuit RCD protected?

cpc'sare the earth wires (circuit protective conductors). even if those bare cpc's were there before, the fan installer should have rectified this. bet you he's not provided a certificate for the work, and all importantly, is the circuit RCD protected?
Yes, I have a new massive fuse box RCD protected, the house has been partially re-wired in the past I think, apart from the sleeves being off, is it wired up correctly?

It is very difficult to fathom the wiring at the fan. From the isolator and light fitting it looks like grey goes to N, brown goes to L and black goes to T. Has the timer setting been adjusted and do they have humidity functions.

It is very difficult to fathom the wiring at the fan. From the isolator and light fitting it looks like grey goes to N, brown goes to L and black goes to T. Has the timer setting been adjusted and do they have humidity functions.

Agree, but I am not sure if black and brown have been swapped at the fan isolator and it is not possible to make out what the terminals are marked as at the fan.

If you have paid someone to do this, I would be on the phone to them asking for them to pop back and make work correctly.

If it was a diy fitting, do you have any test gear to confirm what the cables at the fan are?

I don't understand why you would go poking about in the wiring instead of calling back the installer, which is what you should do.
Or perhaps even call a local reputable electrician as the fan does not look like it was installed with much professionalism. A voltage indicator is needed to verify the connections which impossible to do 100% from pictures.

I don't understand why you would go poking about in the wiring instead of calling back the installer, which is what you should do.
Or perhaps even call a local reputable electrician as the fan does not look like it was installed with much professionalism. A voltage indicator is needed to verify the connections which impossible to do 100% from pictures.
Thanks all, his boss is coming in tomorrow, I won't touch them then, I thought it was something I could easily fix but if it is not correct then I am not going to try, I have told him what you all said, thanks

Let us know what they say/do.
Will do, he said there is lots of wire in the loft so he can pull it through, he says he doesn't think his guy cut off the earth and I must be mistaken, we will see!
[automerge]1572525543[/automerge]
Maybe he didn't cut off the earth, just investigated further (don't worry it's all switched off at the fuse box) there are earths in here, so maybe his only crime is not sleeving the original earths in the light, will let him know they are there.

Attachments

• IMG_8070.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Apart from not being able to see the fan connections, it is not impossible the Switched L and N are swapped at the ceiling rose. It looks to me this light was the last on the radial circuit, and it is not uncommon for someone to have mixed up N and Switched Live. You can't necessarily believe the colours used for the pendant cord are correct.

If this is the case, then the fan would have been fed live up it's N terminal, and N up the switched live terminal. The timer board might or might not have survived.

In which case, I suggest you leave it to whoever installed them to fix, since they might need to buy new fans at their expense!

Reply to New Extractor Fans Not Working - Wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net