Discuss New Instal/Addition or alteration in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi ! sorry seem to be flying questions out tonight, I do try and look honest....

So ...If i had a domestic property that had everything as newly installed in apart from a lighting circuit and a ring. would this be classed on cert as New instal addition or alteration, or ALL above....

And if there any issues with the old circuits that were kept that needed further investigation as not meeting reg's would i state that on EIC or/and on a accompany PIR for the old circuits put onto the new board.?

oh and the main earth conductor is 16mm from board going to a earth block which is then sized down to 10mm which goes into the suppliers main TNCS block......Can you commission an install with this or just note it? advise to contact proivder for earth MET upgrade.

Last edited:
Hi ! sorry seem to be flying questions out tonight, I do try and look honest....

So ...If i had a domestic property that had everything as newly installed in apart from a lighting circuit and a ring. would this be classed on cert as New instal addition or alteration, or ALL above....

Not sure what you are asking - but any new circuit requires an EIC
And if there any issues with the old circuits that were kept that needed further investigation as not meeting reg's would i state that on EIC or/and on a accompany PIR for the old circuits put onto the new board.?
There is a space on the EIC for "comments on existing installation"
oh and the main earth conductor is 16mm from board going to a earth block which is then sized down to 10mm which goes into the suppliers main TNCS block......Can you commission an install with this or just note it? advise to contact proivder for earth MET upgrade.

You can note it on EIC as officially it belongs to the DNO .

Sure aware of fact any new circuit requires EIC, just thought i need do PIR for the old circuits on top of the EIC. Or as you stated can i just mention needs further invest on the EIC forget the PIR.....

The readings were dead short L/N on both circuits they didnt want touched .ironically (i did investigate as much as i could, but no joy)....but thats their call. not wanting spend money. i just werent sure if i can leave it at that and not do PIR....

Last edited:
partial rewire,i would tick the alteration to existing box,and then fully test the existing circuits that they did not want altered,and as you say note down what is defective or does not conform ie low IR.I think you were on the right track anyway but sometimes helps to get others opinions.

You do not need to test any of the existing circuits, unless you want, or have been asked to do so.
The Regulations require you to note any defects where reasonably practicable.
Making a note that there is a broken switch plate, or if you are working in the CU, that lighting circuits do not have a CPC, would be reasonable.
Carrying out any work that you have not been contracted to carry out, or actively searching out defects would not be reasonable.

Reply to New Instal/Addition or alteration in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net