Discuss New member in Nottingham in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just saying hello from Nottingham. I am shortly coming to the end of my Level 2 C&G course, and hoping to find my first job soon. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Felix

Hi everyone, just saying hello from Nottingham. I am shortly coming to the end of my Level 2 C&G course, and hoping to find my first job soon. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Felix
Welcome aboard Felix, just keep sending out letters to employers, be professional and get your CV right, when I ran my company the amount of CVs I threw in the bin due to being amateurish was more than 75% of those sent.

A good cover letter which is informative and written correctly with no or few spelling mistakes also helps. I wish you the very best of luck in your career.

Welcome to https://www.electriciansforums.net mate. As above get sending letters every day all day to everybody you think might even have a job let alone advertising as needing one.

Always change your cover letter don't make one standard one. Then try to do a paragraph about you liking the fact that your company does this and that.

Rub egos the right way right from the start.

And stick around on the forum there's loads of help and support but also actual electricians who could one day employ you maybe. 😀

Welcome aboard Felix, just keep sending out letters to employers, be professional and get your CV right, when I ran my company the amount of CVs I threw in the bin due to being amateurish was more than 75% of those sent.

A good cover letter which is informative and written correctly with no or few spelling mistakes also helps. I wish you the very best of luck in your career.
Thanks MDJ. Is it fairly common for firms to respond positively to requests for unpaid work experience, just to get me started? I’m a mature career changer, so not what they might expect from a school leaver. My work experience is all office based stuff, which may put some people off?

Cheers,
Felix

Welcome to https://www.electriciansforums.net mate. As above get sending letters every day all day to everybody you think might even have a job let alone advertising as needing one.

Always change your cover letter don't make one standard one. Then try to do a paragraph about you liking the fact that your company does this and that.

Rub egos the right way right from the start.

And stick around on the forum there's loads of help and support but also actual electricians who could one day employ you maybe. 😀
Thanks Dan.
Does the trade happily deal in emails, or would you expect some people to prefer actual hard copy letters and CVs?
Are there any particular trade magazines that are worth keeping an eye on for opportunities?

Cheers,
Felix

You'll find them everywhere. Try linkedin, a few trade magazines. I'd find email addresses on websites and send it to them all. Ask in cover letter to kindly forward to HR.

Then also post to every local company too and say you're local in your cover letter to those ones.

For me I see a posted letter as a local applicant. But an email international even now. I don't think I'd notice the address on an email unless it intruiged me.

Reply to New member in Nottingham in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net