Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Newbie saying hi and asking for a little advice/ opinion in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

ODH

Hi all. :waving:

I'm new and would like to say hi and ask some advice :)

I've been a sparky for 9 years and consider myself handy at my job. I was employed by the same company back down south the whole time and served an apprenticeship with them so only really know the employed way of life. I've just moved from Surrey to Derbyshire as my girlfriend was offered a great job opportunity. I'm trying to find work, which is proving easier said than done as most of the work seems to be of an industrial maintenance nature which I have very little experience in.

I've started to feel that setting up on my own my be the way forward. The problem is I've done no work in the area which would constitute being able to pass an assessment. My house is rented so can't change the consumer unit, or really do any work to it, and I have no friends or family in the area to do work for to pass an assessment with a scheme.

So was wondering how other sparks, in my situation, would go about getting work? what would you do to get yourself known and trusted in a new area when you know no one? How would you make that leap?

Thanks in advance

Ollie

Hi mate had same sort of problem my self you can book assessment any where in the country so you could do assessment at another address or speak to help line and see what they say they may have better idea.

Get your landlords permission, i am sure he would be delighted for someone to replace his consumer unit FOC, and issue paperwork, once registered you can notify the job.

Cheers..........Howard

Reply to Newbie saying hi and asking for a little advice/ opinion in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net