Discuss Niceic assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In the past year Stroma have just introduced approved contractor status. Which I have taken advantage of. The year before I just had a telephone assessment asking what work I had done. Aside from the fact it was the same cost I think it is fair enough. After all they have come and pored over work in a commercial environment the few years previous and have got to know me. When they wanted to see certs I pulled out about 300 pages of them which they glanced at in a cursory fashion. In the end they were quite clear I was not fresh out of a five week course with no experience and probably have me marked as such. I sometimes wonder why they inspect every year when they know what calibre of person they are dealing with. Looking forward it is all change again as NAPIT has appeared over our new portal and bringing with them the exorbitant NIC fee structure gawd help us! But that is in 2021 they are going to soften us up first I am told, in not so many words!
You ve raised some very good points. I could never figure it out. Why do they assess you every year, and always treat you like a novice. I mean the fact I ve been a AC for years should prove I know how to test etc. Every year he tells me, oh yeah you know what's going on, I can see that. I think it's just to justify there exorbitant fees.

Annual assessments are a requirement under the Electrotechnical Assessment Scheme and for UKAS accreditation I believe.

The NICEIC have no choice over this.

You ve raised some very good points. I could never figure it out. Why do they assess you every year, and always treat you like a novice. I mean the fact I ve been a AC for years should prove I know how to test etc. Every year he tells me, oh yeah you know what's going on, I can see that. I think it's just to justify there exorbitant fees.
I understand your frustration, but I have to say I've never felt I was treated like a novice. On my Feb assessment he arrived about 1pm, went through the usual paperwork, and then looked at and we discussed a couple of EICR's on the PC. These counted as one job. After that we went off and looked at a couple of local installations, did some testing, and discussed a few points raised...(not negative, just a review of reasons for the way things had been done. Then back to the office, no issues at all and a full endorsement. See you next year.
I would point out other scams are available if you are unhappy with the NIC.....take your money elsewhere.

Annual assessments are a requirement under the Electrotechnical Assessment Scheme and for UKAS accreditation I believe.

The NICEIC have no choice over this.

I believe I've read before, there is scope for the Schemes not to carry out site visits every year, after the first assessment. But you have to ask, what else do you get for your money.

Reply to Niceic assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net