Discuss Niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thomas-1981

I'm sure this has been asked several times before but here goes. Looking at joining NIC and was wondering what kind of jobs they want to assess. Last six months I've been doing just 'odd jobs' here and there. Looking at joining NIC to enable me to approach Clients with larger jobs. But can't show anything sub stantial on initial assessment.

Thanks Guys

Really vague. They said a sample of what you do day to day. I just started out on my own on September and was waiting until I joined an approved scheme before going for larger jobs. So since September I've been doing EICR's, changing fittings,changing DB's and the like.

DB change would be a nice job for assessment purposes. just make sure all the EIC is 100% in order.

They will pay a lot of attention to the completed EICR's that you have done and go through all those reports especially as they are "new"

I was looking at Approved Contractor. Got a few contacts with construction companies and local authorities. But need to be a member of NIC.

You will need a minimum of 5 completed Jobs fully certified and which you have full access to so the inspector can get into it and inspect everything relating to them, he will make you test whilst on site and compair readings as well, as well as ensuring you have the capability to be a QS, you will need the right insurances, test kit and tools etc relating to the work you carry out, you need a H&S Policy, a log book for test instruments, a check box for your testers, a complaints book and a system in place for records etc, they usually send a 10 bullet point flyer to help you get going, it is a bit of a stressful day, but if you do everything right you will be fine.

You will need a minimum of 5 completed Jobs fully certified and which you have full access to so the inspector can get into it and inspect everything relating to them, he will make you test whilst on site and compair readings as well, as well as ensuring you have the capability to be a QS, you will need the right insurances, test kit and tools etc relating to the work you carry out, you need a H&S Policy, a log book for test instruments, a check box for your testers, a complaints book and a system in place for records etc, they usually send a 10 bullet point flyer to help you get going, it is a bit of a stressful day, but if you do everything right you will be fine.

Despite my loathing of the robbing middle men schemes, I have had it from my brother in law that to be AC they are really rather thorough.

aren't they Rich :60: have you recovered yet!!!

Thanks again.
Everything in place in terms of tools,test gear,insurances and a Method Statement is in the process of being written up by a H&S Advisor.

Despite my loathing of the robbing middle men schemes, I have had it from my brother in law that to be AC they are really rather thorough.

aren't they Rich :60: have you recovered yet!!!

They are thorough, it is a tough day to pass the Approved Contractor Accessment, more difficult than some here think, JMO

Nic

For full scope they usually want a cu change and new circuits and a second project such as som eq bonding. I hope this is of use

Of course you need to work to their scope and won't have a chance to become an approved contractor if you do not, I have been a QS for 16/17 years and on 3 different companies and know the routine they carry out to (1) assess the company, and (2) assess the QS, the pre inspection visit will be of benefit and they will send a 10 point bullet flyer with the things they expect from you, as mentioned in my previous post though, 5 completed installations with all paper work and full access to the properties is expected for full Approved Contrator status, then yearly inspections with a list of all works during the 12 month period and they will pick 2-3, probably 2 though at random to look at, if you keep all the paper work properly and do the work right you won't have a problem, they like to find little things to write down, providing they are only little things then you will fly through the inspection. The Domestic Installer side is easy, most sparks here know this, but many get confused about the ease of Approved status, not easy by any means, JMO.

I hear ya!

Got my annual AC inspection in two weeks time and I really stress about it about a month or so before hand!

It makes me laugh the people who say its a walk in the park?!, they have obviously not done one!

Reply to Niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net