Discuss No Paperwork For New Consumer Unit Installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

i always tape over through crimps when im happy with the joint

Do you think that a joint in an accessible cable made by crimping and wrapping tape over the top constitutes a good, or even adequate, job?

... ring his membership helpline it will probably be niceic or other....

He doesn't appear to be registered with a 'scheme':

Thanks. That was a useful link - Not surprisingly neither their address (as listed on their website) or company name show up.

Do you think that a joint in an accessible cable made by crimping and wrapping tape over the top constitutes a good, or even adequate, job?

He doesn't appear to be registered with a 'scheme':
not if it isnt in an enclosure the joint should be contained really, an adaptable box isnt expensive.

if he isnt member of a scheme then he should have informed you that building control need notifying before job is carrird out.

usually the electrician does this on the clients behalf unless there a cowboy, it is a couple hundred pounds usually to do it

so its actually cheaper to be part of a scheme if you do more than 2 notifiable jobs a year

Aren't we all in business to make money? Isn't UK's scenario called commercial considerations. Hes not saying that he is trying to take advantage of a sick/frail/old person
Wasn't suggesting Uksparks was. What I was suggesting, is overcharging someone for a job you don't want, but get, can leave you open to suggestions that you're expensive and taking liberties, the same as bee suggested of this installer in this thread.

Well the original complaint/question was the lack of an EIC so some might argue he hasn't proved his work safe - as already suggested so there could be a valid compliant for TS to hear?
Think TS are a bit too busy to look at this one, just because of a missing EIC which might turn up anyway. The OP said he didn't have concerns about the quality of work, or the cost for that matter. Been a week though now, no sign of EIC?

Quick update:
Something has been received from the electrician by email. As soon as I get to see it I will update again. A request has also been made for the original printed certificate.
With regards the price: I am now confident that he hasn't taken advantage of my mothers age; he is just expensive.
I came to this conclusion by asking a female friend to request a quote for the same job. The price quoted over the 'phone was £600. The caller was also much younger than my mother which should have come across over the 'phone.

Quick update:
Something has been received from the electrician by email. As soon as I get to see it I will update again. A request has also been made for the original printed certificate.
With regards the price: I am now confident that he hasn't taken advantage of my mothers age; he is just expensive.
I came to this conclusion by asking a female friend to request a quote for the same job. The price quoted over the 'phone was £600. The caller was also much younger than my mother which should have come across over the 'phone.

hum....

You need an EIC

AND

Confirmation that LABC Part P notification has been done

and he's not expensive, he is ripping people off!

Wouldn't it be better just to tell them that you are too busy for the next few months to do the work. That way you don't look like you are trying to rip them off?

This thread has raised a very interesting point, if off-topic. With the exception of elderly and any other vulnerable person, is it really a crime to overprice a quote? Now, the way this was done in this example is unprofessional and it were not the elderly lady concerned then alarm bells should have rung from the start. I can't imagine this guy gives all his quotes verbally so to me it smacks of him seizing what he saw as a chance for making extra money out of the situation, reprehensible under the circumstances. However, taking her out of the equation, as has been said is it wrong to be up front with a written quote? Or, for that matter, to wind it up a bit in certain circumstances? Anyone with any common sense will get a number of quotes for a relatively expensive job like a CU change, or for any type of work for that matter. If the firm concerned gives a proper written quote then do they not have only themselves to blame? I am sure most of us have been too busy and wound a quote right up on occasions, only to have it accepted? is this wrong?? I recently turned up at a mansion to quote for power in an outbuilding, the guy was clearly loaded, 2 new BM's on the drive - who's not going to wind it up a bit? If it were a single mother in a terrace then I would, on the other hand, try and help her out. Another point, I do a bit of work for a local builder, as does a plumber. This guy recently charged £500 for re-routing an original external gas pipe of about 10M through a new extension, point to point - £500!!!! Took him half a day, and apparently that's par for the course in plumbing circles, so what does that say about this CU change? Yes you could say "sorry I am too busy", but is it really that bad to be open about your price and see what happens? Plenty other firms do it.

Oh and the other thing was, am I out of touch here, but who the hell carries a merchant terminal around with them?? Does this not smell a bit fishy?

as a professional spark, charges are way too low IMO. most of us are happy to work for £30/hour or less. compare that with a solicitor @ £175/hour, or an accountant @ £90/hour. OK, they've done longer courses and spent more to get where they are, but at the end of the day, they provide a service to the public same as us. if i could demand £600 for a CU change and get it, sure i would.

Oh and the other thing was, am I out of touch here, but who the hell carries a merchant terminal around with them?? Does this not smell a bit fishy?

I don't at the moment but I probably will now that you can get a paypall one for about £50.00.
I don't get many cheques, a couple a month. And these are for small jobs and call outs. I then have to go the the bank with them.
I'd be happy to pay 2.75% to avoid a trip to town.

I don't at the moment but I probably will now that you can get a paypall one for about £50.00.
I don't get many cheques, a couple a month. And these are for small jobs and call outs. I then have to go the the bank with them.
I'd be happy to pay 2.75% to avoid a trip to town.
why not put it at the botton of the quote with cheques being the most expensive put a charge as they are a pain in the arse.

im sure they wouldnt bat an eye lid at an admin charge for cheques but cash and card payments no charge.

This thread has raised a very interesting point, if off-topic. With the exception of elderly and any other vulnerable person, is it really a crime to overprice a quote? Now, the way this was done in this example is unprofessional and it were not the elderly lady concerned then alarm bells should have rung from the start. I can't imagine this guy gives all his quotes verbally so to me it smacks of him seizing what he saw as a chance for making extra money out of the situation, reprehensible under the circumstances. However, taking her out of the equation, as has been said is it wrong to be up front with a written quote? Or, for that matter, to wind it up a bit in certain circumstances? Anyone with any common sense will get a number of quotes for a relatively expensive job like a CU change, or for any type of work for that matter. If the firm concerned gives a proper written quote then do they not have only themselves to blame? I am sure most of us have been too busy and wound a quote right up on occasions, only to have it accepted? is this wrong?? I recently turned up at a mansion to quote for power in an outbuilding, the guy was clearly loaded, 2 new BM's on the drive - who's not going to wind it up a bit? If it were a single mother in a terrace then I would, on the other hand, try and help her out. Another point, I do a bit of work for a local builder, as does a plumber. This guy recently charged £500 for re-routing an original external gas pipe of about 10M through a new extension, point to point - £500!!!! Took him half a day, and apparently that's par for the course in plumbing circles, so what does that say about this CU change? Yes you could say "sorry I am too busy", but is it really that bad to be open about your price and see what happens? Plenty other firms do it.

Short answer is no it isn't. The price you quote is the price. Market forces dictate. You either get the work or you dont. Price to low and as Tel says you demoralise the industry to the lowest common denominator. Id rather do 1 days work changing a CU well for £600 (I'm not saying I charge £600 btw) rather than 2 days work for the same money. I'm a business, not a charity and so long as I trade with a conscience I dont see what the fuss is about.

Doesn't always mean you have to as well. Too many people try and use this for their own good.
OK so you go into a car dealership and spend £17K on the first one you see. Half a mile down the road another guy has exactly the same car for £16K, and the first guy makes a nice little drink out of it. Is he a nasty conman or is the customer a bit of a plonka for not shopping around??

maybe the first dealer is niceic and so has larger overheads.:wub:

I can't afford £17K for a car. I wouldn't even pay that price if I could.
I do get where you are coming from. I just don't like the saying.

i'm saying nowt as the missus has just paid close to 15K on a 3 year old ford grand C max.

Reply to No Paperwork For New Consumer Unit Installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net