Discuss Non certified work. Sockets in Kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andrew-AHH

A couple of years ago I replaced my kitchen units. During this refit, I replaced the kitchen sockets and also added in 2 additional ones. I have replaced sockets in other rooms in the house, but just found out that I'm not allowed to so any electrical work in Kitchens, Bathrooms or outside.

Can I get an electrician to inspect the work? I am worried about the impact of doing this work will have when I come to sell the house?

What our my options? Don't fancy removing all the wiring out of the nicely plastered walls and getting the whole room done again. Should I be worried or am I scuppered or both?

I'm sure this must happen all the time.

Yes you can get an electrician in to test and inspect the work. You could have a condition report done on the full house while hes there, which will benefit you as you get to see what condition the installation is in or if there are any defects. If not just get the circuits which you worked on tested.

When you come to sell the house it will be asked if any electrical work has been carried out after 2005 and you will need to provide certificates for such.

Just the circuit alterations not swapping sockets IE plastic for chrome etc

I don't have any certificates for the work I done in the kitchen. would an electrician be able to inspect the work and provide certificates? Will this work have to then be notified to the Build Control Officer for my area or is this done under the Part P registration?

I don't have any certificates for the work I done in the kitchen. would an electrician be able to inspect the work and provide certificates? Will this work have to then be notified to the Build Control Officer for my area or is this done under the Part P registration?
youl get an EICR....
this dont mean the work is satisfactory....it just means that if it isn`t....the report should contain any deviations and unsafe stuff (1s & 2s etc)...

the EICR is like a MOT. you would get a full report on the whole installation. expect to pay around £150 - £250, depending on the extent of the installation.

Yes and no.

As Glenn says youll get an electrical installation condition report but it wont be notified, its too late now...

If an electrican had carried out the work it would of been notified and an electrical installation certificate issued...

Reply to Non certified work. Sockets in Kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net