Discuss Non - compliant light fitting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys
I've been asked to install a fitting that has no enclosure around the (floating) terminal block.

It's a Homebase Newport Small Fitting QA01572. The base sits away from the ceiling on 3 25mm long pillars. Between the base and the ceiling is the unfixed terminal block. The instructions tell you to connect the fixed wiring to it and wrapping it insulating tape! Obviously this is visible and accessable, especially if used as a hall light at the bottom of the stairs.

My understanding is that the terminal block has to be totally enclosed.

Your advice please?

Cheers
Pete

Chocbox...

Thats the simplest way...

You could use wagos and enclosure too...

Well yes, but the wires into the lamp are only single insulated with heat sleeving on them. Does that count as double insulated?

But this misses the point. These are being sold to Joe Public to fit. Do they comply as they stand?

Pete

Tell the customer to take it back and not to buy cheap manufactured crap from DIY stores.. Refer to your regs 526.5 to get an idea although this is an accessory the joint will still have to comply to BS7671 IMHO... I take it your regs are at work as its an easily looked up reg TBH.

Any exposed wiring will require to be double insulated unless its SELV / PELV, the heat proof sleeving does not ake it double insulated.

Tell the customer to take it back and not to buy cheap manufactured crap from DIY stores.. Refer to your regs 526.5 to get an idea although this is an accessory the joint will still have to comply to BS7671 IMHO... I take it your regs are at work as its an easily looked up reg TBH.

I've already asked the customer to change it (he took it very well). I just wanted confirmation before I have a go at Homebase!

137996_R_Z001

was wondering the same

Reply to Non - compliant light fitting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net