Discuss Normal and USB sockets for home in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

bulktrans

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there, I am looking for some advice re: putting new sockets and usb sockets in my home. Someone will be rewiring the entire house but I have been asked to provide the sockets whatever I want to put in.

The current sockets and switches are old style plastic ones with screws in front.

What I am looking for is some advice on the following -
1) normal sockets double gang - plastic or metal finish and what brand as I will be needing around 20 odd
2) few sockets with usb charging - around 5 one for each room - again what brand is reliable
3) normal switches for lights etc - again plastic or metal ones are best?

I have been looking around and there are lots of brand in the market and there are lots of mixed reviews. I am happy to pay a bit more if it's a reliable brand.

Much appreciated :)

Most of the wholesalers around me stock Click Scolmore. Several ranges of decorative metal finishes…. I’ve never had a problem with them.

Screwfix will do them in their own LAP brand. Again, not had a problem myself with them, but you get what you pay for.

Most of the wholesalers around me stock Click Scolmore. Several ranges of decorative metal finishes…. I’ve never had a problem with them.

Screwfix will do them in their own LAP brand. Again, not had a problem myself with them, but you get what you pay for.
Thanks so much, I was thinking of BG electrical options from screwfix or amazon as some are on deal. Is BG electrical stuff reliable and worth the money? Thanks

I will say the Lap light switches have not been good for me, I have had 2 fail out of 100ish.
I know its not a huge failure rate but thankfully they were both at home otherwise I would have to spend 2 hours out of my day to change someone's £2 light switch.

any more thoughts on my request ....
Get a mail order catalogue, that way you can compare different styles. I use the TLC one but others are available. If you go to the TLC website you can compare on line or order a catalogue.

Thanks so much, I was thinking of BG electrical options from screwfix or amazon as some are on deal. Is BG electrical stuff reliable and worth the money? Thanks
I've got some nickel BG dual sockets with USB's as well as some dimmers, switches etc - no complaints.

One of the things to check with the 2 gang sockets with the 2 USB sockets is that both the usb sockets can deliver the output claimed and it isn't shared across both when 2 devices are plugged in

in terms of brand preference for reliability -

am i correct in understanding that Shnieder is better than BG Electrical stuff?

Not that exact style, but yes. BG Nexan is a pretty standard find at a wholesalers. Also - think very carefully before committing to screwless flat plates (of any make), they look great in the catalogues but anything other than a mirror-finish flat wall and they never fit properly and the clip on fronts want to fall off!!
thanks for sharing this info, our new build extension walls will be new and present walls will be replastered - do you think I should just get the screw sockets to be on the safe side or try for screwless?

Also I am leaning towards Schneider Electric Ultimate range sockets .. is that a decent brand?

Thanks so much

thanks for sharing this info, our new build extension walls will be new and present walls will be replastered - do you think I should just get the screw sockets to be on the safe side or try for screwless?

Also I am leaning towards Schneider Electric Ultimate range sockets .. is that a decent brand?

Thanks so much
Haven't used them personally, but generally speaking Schneider make good kit. As to the other.... how expensive is the plasterer? 😉

Haven't used them personally, but generally speaking Schneider make good kit. As to the other.... how expensive is the plasterer? 😉
our is an old house so getting renovation done so the plastering is part of the deal :)
just have to make a decision on screwless or with screws ...

our is an old house so getting renovation done so the plastering is part of the deal :)
just have to make a decision on screwless or with screws ...

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about that to be honest! Nobody will notice.

Hi there, I am looking for some advice re: putting new sockets and usb sockets in my home. Someone will be rewiring the entire house but I have been asked to provide the sockets whatever I want to put in.

The current sockets and switches are old style plastic ones with screws in front.

What I am looking for is some advice on the following -
1) normal sockets double gang - plastic or metal finish and what brand as I will be needing around 20 odd
2) few sockets with usb charging - around 5 one for each room - again what brand is reliable
3) normal switches for lights etc - again plastic or metal ones are best?

I have been looking around and there are lots of brand in the market and there are lots of mixed reviews. I am happy to pay a bit more if it's a reliable brand.

Much appreciated :)
Have you any thoughts on the Type of usb ?

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about that to be honest! Nobody will notice.
I think that's spot on I have been thinking too much .. it's because I would like to get the right good quality stuff .. :)

Reactions: DPG
any suggestion on what to get for
1-outdoor wall light,
2-outdoor security lights and
3-outdoor double socket with protective cover?

Thanks

i am looking at outdoor security lights, hard wired with PIR sensors but there are so many options .. any suggestion on brand or what to get would be very helpful thanks

Reply to Normal and USB sockets for home in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net