Discuss Not registered to a scheme. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi guys. haven't been on here for a while. quick background/recap. i work for a small family firm in the manufacturing industry where my father is the boss. a few years back the firm was struggling and looked like it may (worse case scenario) fold. my father suggested that the company would pay for me to go college to learn a trade just in case the company did go under. this was all about 6-7 years ago. in this time i have got all the qualifications as in C+G 2330, 17th edition and even the dreaded 2391.i completed the 2391 about 2 years ago-ish.

here's where my problem lies. the family firm that looked to be going under 6-7 years ago is still going and going well. although i have all the qualifications you need i haven't really got any on site experience other than 2 rewires and the odd extension work i have done with sparky mates. i would like to get into sparky work a lot more but i literally can not take the wage cut and be a 36 year old apprentice which i feel i would essentially be due to my lack of experience. so what i want to do is get some weekend work as some extra cash and experience.

obviously if i were to go on my own i would need to be part of a scheme as in NAPIT, ELECSA and NICEIC.

if you are not a part of these schemes can you still do installations and call out the building control to certify your work?? also how do you go about doing this???

an electrician's mate would expect around £9/hour. as for the notification side of private work, i'd try and stick to non-notifiable jobs if you are just doing part-time work. any jobs such as newly built extensions already are subject to building control and your local BC would need proof of your quals., and then should accept a copy of your EIC at no charge to you or the customer. this is because a building notice will already have been raised. , no need to be in a scam. check part p doc. from planning portal.gov.uk. to see what jobs are notifiable.

another of my mates is a plumber. he gets a fair amount of work thrown at him like new sockets,lights and even rewires.just from his customer asking if he knows any sparkies. he asks me all the time if i fancy doing these jobs as could be done over a weekend most of the time but i keep declining due to lack of scheme etc. how would i go about notifying relevant authorities should they need to be tested and inspected etc?? i mean. could i do a rewire for example and then phone local BC to get them to come and test and certify???

another of my mates is a plumber. he gets a fair amount of work thrown at him like new sockets,lights and even rewires.just from his customer asking if he knows any sparkies. he asks me all the time if i fancy doing these jobs as could be done over a weekend most of the time but i keep declining due to lack of scheme etc. how would i go about notifying relevant authorities should they need to be tested and inspected etc?? i mean. could i do a rewire for example and then phone local BC to get them to come and test and certify???

BC would want to inspect 1st fix before plastering, then 2nd fix, then test/inspect. cost is around £300.

Reply to Not registered to a scheme. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net