Discuss Notifiable or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi guys

i had to remove x4 gu10 mains downlights from a bathroom yesterday, some one had installed them directly into loft insulation ( no access to loft insulation from above) customer had started to smell burning. On inspection its amazing that the house hadn't burnt down as the downlight wiring had melted to the actual fittings and there was no air gap between fittings and insulation, two of the fittings were technically in zone 1 (incorrect ip rating) as the bathroom ceiling was low. I removed the downlights and all heat damaged wiring as a matter of safety. I Fitted a surface mounted IP44 light fitting to the original bathroom light radial and issued a minor works certificate. The existing circuit was fed from a split load board and currently the bathroom lighting circuit was not protected by 30ma RCD

firstly would this job be deemed notifiable as no addition has actually been made only removal of the poorly installed downlights. ( pre existing circuit and wiring used for new light fitting)

i think that the danger of fire presented by the existing downlights if they were not removed outways the need for providing the circuit with 30ma RCD protection if you feel the new light is an addition. any thoughts

just to add details re no rcd protection and the fact that downlights removed for safety noted on Minor works certificate customer advised as to the fact that no current rcd protection on lighting circuits

Last edited:
Classed as maintenance if the fixed wiring is not altered so I don't think you have to complete a MWC even, although I always do for peice of mind the same as you have.

Reply to Notifiable or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net