Discuss Notification Required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

KevinH

-
Reaction score
I have just completed a (large) new build timber lodge in a customers (large) rear garden and today given it a full test and produced an EIC for it.

The owner says he has not needed building control/planning consent as it is just within the criteria to not need it, even though it is a 4 bed, 60' x 22' lodge!

My question is, as the lodge does not come under building control, do I need to notify them of the electrical part of the job?

This may sound an obvious question to most, but I have not come across this situation before. My thought is that as it is a new build, I will have to notify.

Any thoughts?

You could argue a 'lodge' is not a dwelling and if you can argue its not a 'dwelling' then Part Pee need not apply.

When does a lodge go from being just a lodge to a dwelling ?

You could argue a 'lodge' is not a dwelling and if you can argue its not a 'dwelling' then Part Pee need not apply.

When does a lodge go from being just a lodge to a dwelling ?

even though it is a 4 bed, 60' x 22' lodge!

It has 4 beds in it, so its a dwelling, in my eyes.

My understanding is that Part P applies to anything fed from one electricity meter if that meter is in a dwelling, or if the meter is not in a dwelling, but serves a dwelling amongst other things.
On the other hand, isn't it the householders obligation to do the notifying, not the electrician, although they normally do this on the householder's behalf?

The owner says he has not needed building control/planning consent as it is just within the criteria to not need it
Sounds like he might be trying to pull a fast one, if as PM and others say new circuits, new CU etc it requires a notification all day long!
By notifying it you might just 'drop him in it' but thats his problem not yours, you are just doing your job.

Sheds or outbuildings need planning permission if they over a certain height, there might be other criteria too. Not that has anything to do with notification of electrics !

Reply to Notification Required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net