Discuss NVQ Portfolio in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks. Just finished my third year of my apprenticeship, all I’ve got left is my NVQ to start and comlplete, and my AM2.

I haven’t had much guidance on the NVQ if I’m honest, has anyone got any tips? Or even just some info on what exactly needs to be included?

i work predominantly on new build sites, is this going to be enough?

any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

First off a portfolio is a major pain in the butt. One of the good things is you don't have to repeat yourself meaning that the same question or requirement to demonstrate things is repeated quite often and you can refer to the earlier item. Such as safe isolation comes up about 10 times you only have to do it once that way. You must get photos of any and all work you do and you must be in the photo holding the item or whatever. If you have done some of the more unusual things like galv conduit then get photos and get is signed off. Central heating controls, plastic trunking containment and tray work get photos every time. H&S seems to rear its ugly head on many occasions. Again once you have covered the aspect required you can refer to the earlier exposition. Locations and equipment information will be needed so keep the specs sheets for anything you are installing. You don't need to write a book for each module section just a nice short concise I installed galv trunking for supply to three phase cooker and that's it with photos. You may be lucky and have an electronic portfolio as I understand they are doing that more nowadays. Wish they did when I did it! The expert witness to your work needs to prove who they are. It can be your supervisor, a customer, or a qualified spark it does not matter so long as they sign the witness sheet and present their credentials. An assessor comes form C&G or whatever you are under and then inspects and ratifies the Portfolio. There are a couple of portfolios I believe on here to look at if you search portfolio that might help you.

Reply to NVQ Portfolio in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net