Discuss old federal mcb types?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

scottnomie

hi guys

been testing last few days on old federal boards, but im not seeing any letter or number that i can relate to the mcb type??
theres the old BS number on them, but i need to find out the allowed zs values!

anyone had this issue before.. or am i missing something??

there black, some black + orange, i have a photo if i would help

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just replaced a Federal board... the breakers on the lighting circuits were 6A Type 4s and there were a couple of spare 15A Type 4s too - think something would have melted before they tripped for a short circuit! I couldn't find Zs data for them - OSG only goes up to Type 3s.

The info on these was on a sticker on the front of the breaker, but other breakers had no stickers present so couldn't guarantee they weren't Type 4s too.

Simon.

The black switch fedral mcbs are type 4, can't remember which way round it is but the green switch mcbs are type 2, and the orange switch mcbs are type 3.
Have not tested a fedral db for a few months now .
Most fedral mcbs had the writing on the front of the mcb by the switch.

I have another 3 of these boards to replace as I advised the client I had severve doubts if these would trip at al,l as I bench tested one by overloading it , Well a mate did it for me with a clare injection tester and a type 3 10A melted before it tripped, I have read horror stories about some fed stuff from the states wether or not the same ones I cant say but I would adivse a replacment
Pict

Those black Fed Elect breakers are the absolute pit's!! Your lucky if they had a type 5 tripping curve, if there was a type 5 that is ...lol!! Total American Crap, which is what they protect there installations with, and no doubt why they have so many house fires over the pond, compared to Europe!!!

Reply to old federal mcb types?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net