Discuss Open PEN causes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The risks related to an open PEN in TN-C-S are often discussed here, say in relation to external supplies to out buildings, etc, but I wondered what is the main reason(s) for an open PEN fault?

I assume it is something to do with bad jointing techniques as with concentric cables it would be virtually impossible to accidentally cut the outer PEN and not short out everything, so I wondered if anyone with DNO links knows the sort of underlying causes and what (if anything) could be done to mitigate them.

TL;DR What causes an open PEN?

I was at a conference some years ago, it was stated that there were around 350 open pen faults a year, but they never really went into any detail other than the majority occurred on aluminium cables, the pen being somewhat less protected than the phases, basically any damage to the outer sheeth would allow water along the pen, but it couldn't get though the phase insulation, under the right (wrong?) circumstances water with the impurities from the soil would corrode the pen away to nothing.

I was at a conference some years ago, it was stated that there were around 350 open pen faults a year, but they never really went into any detail other than the majority occurred on aluminium cables, the pen being somewhat less protected than the phases, basically any damage to the outer sheath would allow water along the pen, but it couldn't get though the phase insulation, under the right (wrong?) circumstances water with the impurities from the soil would corrode the pen away to nothing.
Now that is an interesting point I had not considered: the impact of a leak on the sheath and (as you point out) the relatively common use of Al in that large DNO cables compared to the general case where (in the UK at least) Cu dominates.

I think a lot of the problems arise from older cables, joints, systems which are susceptible to failures such as the water ingress.

I think new network installations generally have a copper concentric conductor these days which will resist corrosion far better.

There have been a lot of fails in under-pavement joints installed in the 1970s. Happened at least 3 times on our estate over the last few years. Once was at my own house. Guy doing the repair said it was not uncommon.

My village is PME, but overhead seperate cables. The lowest cable is the PEN and is jointed at each pole for services. There maybe alot of faults on this type of distribution as it doesnt have the protection of concentric cables in ground etc

My village is PME, but overhead seperate cables. The lowest cable is the PEN and is jointed at each pole for services. There maybe alot of faults on this type of distribution as it doesnt have the protection of concentric cables in ground etc
Yes. That is the major issue here as well. Particularly during storms, overhead supplies, are vulnerable in a way underground ones are, nt
[automerge]1597611788[/automerge]
The risks related to an open PEN in TN-C-S are often discussed here, say in relation to external supplies to out buildings, etc, but I wondered what is the main reason(s) for an open PEN fault?

I assume it is something to do with bad jointing techniques as with concentric cables it would be virtually impossible to accidentally cut the outer PEN and not short out everything, so I wondered if anyone with DNO links knows the sort of underlying causes and what (if anything) could be done to mitigate them.

TL;DR What causes an open PEN?
Another question for those with DNO, s links would be about the PME earth drops from the neutral to ground. What resistance do they have? How effective are they when the PEN breaks?

Last edited:
Another question for those with DNO, s links would be about the PME earth drops from the neutral to ground. What resistance do they have? How effective are they when the PEN breaks?
That was something I was wondering in relation to the other current thread where additional installation earth rods on TN-C-S are being discussed - the 'M' in PME should mean that most (or all?) end points of the system's combined neutral/earth have a decent DNO-installed earthing rod/structure.

What are their design parameters, and why do they appear to not be good enough?

That was something I was wondering in relation to the other current thread where additional installation earth rods on TN-C-S are being discussed - the 'M' in PME should mean that most (or all?) end points of the system's combined neutral/earth have a decent DNO-installed earthing rod/structure.

Precisely. What we can say for sure is that they are clearly not adequate to act as a plan B during an open PEN situation. However if we had some idea of their resistance we would at least be able to make a calculation of how many extra, rods would be needed additionally per home in order to design a satisfactory installation.

Is it an Insane idea (I mentioned this elsewhere) to also calculate what the cost of running a separate earth from the DNO, s trafo to each home.Split the cost over each home. Would it not be competitive (even cheaper) than all the extra protective measures we discussed on the other thread to deal with the safety issues that have arisen?
Basically. Go back to TNS.

UKPN spec is for end of main and other intermediate PME electrodes to be under 100 ohms.

Surprised? I was!

UKPN specs are free to view and download on their website in the G81 document library, you juts have to sign up for a free account.

Reply to Open PEN causes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net