Discuss Outside light on plug top. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering installing an outside light on my house on the wall by the front door.
I was planning to use the outside enclosure that houses connector blocks that connects to a flex that runs in to the house and has plug top on the other end (2.5 flex and is existing (i installed some time ago as a temp supply for some Xmas lights and never took out)) and connect it to some 1.5 flex 5amo fuse in plug top and connect that flex to light.

Hope that makes sense.

My questions are:

1. I am an apprentice and there for not registered so would this install be notifiable? And would removing the connection box and taking the flex direct in to the house change this?

2. Do I need to install an RCD plug too for this as the fuse board is re-wire able and thus no RCD protection on the socket.

Thanks.

No it would be classed as portable equipment in very loose terms. What year apprentice are you?
Coming to the end of the 1st year but only ever done stuff inside and all work and notification stuff is done by the office (I think). We get given a job and do it.Why?Also: Does registering when qualified with napit or neciec mean you do not have to notify?Thanks.

Even if they helped as it is the company that is registered would them helping solve the issue of notification? I know how to do spurs and fit light and plugs ect but I do not want to do the work if it is not correctly signed off if it is notifiable.

Best option although I think it would be have to be notified(don't deal with domestic much so can someone confirm?) would be to extend the ring into an RCD switch fused spur rated at 3a or 5a depending on the size of the fitting. Then out of the spur to the light, in trunking and drilled out if it won't look a eye sore. It's worth asking at work though, they are there to help you at te end of the day.

Might sound likea really stupid question But what are you hoping to achieve by notifying it.it s your own house just get on with it as long as you know what your doing and you can do it safely.

I don't know sorry mate. It's good to see a lad wanting to do things the right way though.
At the end of the day I want to get as much experience as possible, correct experience. I like to know the correct and legal ways to do things. As at the end of the day I will know that I have done the best work I can and also the best work means I will (hopefully get more work). Posting this question is not really because I do not know how to do the job but because I want to do it in accordance will all laws and regulations and notification is one of the things that I am not sure of.I would rather ask if I do not know than just do it wrong.Thanks.

The idea of part P and notification is to leave a paper trail to prove it was done safely, but filling in the right forms and ticking the right boxes in itself isn't going to make the installation any safer.
Sticking a plug on the end of an outside light and plugging it in might sound like a good solution but consider what you would think if you saw that on a new build - plugs with flexes disappearing off everywhere for no reason other than to get around some red tape.

Might sound likea really stupid question But what are you hoping to achieve by notifying it.it s your own house just get on with it as long as you know what your doing and you can do it safely.
I agree with you onions aslong as u know what you are doing and can do it safely just do it its your house
just get a red fuse spur there not deer then spur off the closest socket mate its probity the easiest way

I would like to point out that an outside light fixed to the wall of a dwelling, which is not a new circuit, has never been notifiable to building control.
With the January changes, as it will not be a new circuit, it is certainly not notifiable.

Fit the light with the fused spur and inspect, test and certify correctly and you are all good.

If the cable for the lighting is not buried in the wall at any point (e.g. drill through back of socket to outside ) and have surface wiring outside then there is no requirement for RCD protection either.

Reply to Outside light on plug top. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net