Discuss Part-P Assessment. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

StuSpiers

I have just finished my initial Part-p Assessment.

I was generally impressed with the standard of assessment and question posed to me.

Had all my business credentials/quals inspected.

Had to perform safe isolation.
Had to do ZE (making sure to remove parallel paths)
Ring final continuity
Rcd test (full range of tests)

Whilst all the time answering Questions about maximum acceptable readings.

Being a time served sparks I found all of this incredibly easy but the process did impress me.

After being a Part-p cynic for years (I folded my original business in 2005 because of my disgust with Part-p) I can now class my self as a Part-p sparks I didn't expect to fell proud of that but I guess we all like to get a grade 'A'.

I enrolled with Elecsa.

Hey Stu,

Im not long due my very first assessment with Elecsa. They looked like the good choice when faced with the other choices out there for registration (cheaper too).

Are there any tips or pointers you can give me (or anyone else out there hitting this for the first time) that will help to make things go smooth?

Thanks

Depends on your experience really, I felt confident enough to not revise anything.

They don't expect you to remember everything and are quite happy for you to hold up your hands and say ill just check that in the OSG/BGB/ building regs.

If you have F****ed up don't try to be a smart --- confess and explain your reasons for doing what you did, we all make mistakes from time to time and they will still let you join so long as you have rectified what you did wrong.

They are all or have been sparks in the past so they know their stuff.

Make sure you have a good understanding of your tests and your test instruments.

A pleasant experience and they will put you at your ease.

I just finished my Part P assessment today, also with ELECSA. Much the same as the original post, some tests I had to actually do (things like Ze, Zs, RCD), some I had to explain in detail instead (ring continuity, insulation resistance).

One thing that suprised me a little was lots of questions about other building reg Parts and how they affect electrical installation, like Part C, Part E, Part L (as well as the expected questions on things like holes & notches in joists etc). Stuff that is not in the Electrician's Guide to the Building Regs, and you'd need to have read the actual Parts to know about (or had good training, somewhat more than my Part P course).

Last edited:

Reply to Part-P Assessment. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net