Discuss Part P Help please ! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Blue cat

Hi,

Hope someone here can help!

My eighty year old mum bought a new house two years ago and has had a number of problems. The house has a part P certificate. I have no idea of building regs or Part P regs but have worked on aircraft electrics for many years.

An initial electrical problem occurred when she asked me to put round pin plugs on her lamps. This I did but the sockets would not work. The builder was called back and it was discovered that a lamp socket had not been fitted with a faceplate and had been plastered over with the wires unconnected. Any simple electrical test would have found this.

Subsequently, I was asked to change a light fitting in the hall. When I switched off the power on the hall lights circuit I was surprised that the washing machine stopped. This then means that lighting and power are on the same ring. Cannot believe this is allowable. I lack test equipment to do more.

My mother has been chasing the builder but he will not respond.

My question is simple there is a Part P certificate on the property which has obviously been issued without the proper tests having been done. Who are the body that I can take it up with?

Also, I would like this body to verify the property is safe! My mother has limited financial means so any help or advice welcome

Thanks

You have a part p certificate...what does the top of it say? Electrical inspection certificate or periodic inspection report?

Aren't new builds covered by NHBC, or something like that?
Has she got any warranty cover?
I think you need to get in contact with the original construction company.

First 2 years the Builder is responsible
Years 3 to 10 is NHBC, so the exact purchase date is critical.

It seems the original builder isn't interested, maybe it's just coming up to 2 years??

And I don't beleive NHBC covers the electrical installation;

From their T's And C's

What NHBC will do;

1) We will pay you the full Cost, if it is more than £1,200
Indexed, of putting right any physical damage to your
Home which is caused by a Defect in respect of any of
the following parts of your house, bungalow, maisonette
or flat, or its garage or other permanent outbuildings:
a) foundations;
b) load-bearing walls;
c) non load-bearing partition walls;
d) wet-applied wall plaster;
e) external cladding, curtain walling, external render
and external vertical tile hanging;
f) load-bearing parts of the roof;
g) roof coverings;
h) ceilings;
i) load-bearing parts of the floors;
j) staircases and internal floor decking and screeds
where these fail to support normal loads;
k) retaining walls necessary for the structural stability
of the house, bungalow, flat or maisonette, its garage
or other permanent outbuilding;
l) double-glazing or triple-glazing panes to external
windows and doors;
m) below-ground drainage for which you are responsible.
Alternatively, we may at our option arrange to get the
necessary work done at our expense.
2) We will pay you the Cost of putting right any Defect in
a flue or chimney that serves your Home and causes
a present or imminent danger to the physical health
and safety of anyone normally living in your Home.
Alternatively, we may at our option arrange to get the
necessary work done at our expense.
3) We will pay you any reasonable costs that you incur by
prior agreement with us for removal, storage and
appropriate alternative accommodation if it is necessary
for anyone normally living in your Home to move out so
that work can be done.

Last edited:
A sensible course of action would be an EICR - depending on the size of the property could take 1/2 to 3/4 day plus documentation.

So a very small cost for your and her piece of mind

the name of the electrical company responsible should be on the test certificate, as should their CPS providers name.

first port of call is the company involved, 2nd is the scheme provider.

the name of the electrical company responsible should be on the test certificate, as should their CPS providers name.

first port of call is the company involved, 2nd is the scheme provider.

I don't think that has to be on there!

just test results which are not made up!

Reply to Part P Help please ! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net