Discuss PEN Fault Detection on Whole Install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I understand the requirement for PEN fault detection on EV chargers for TN-C-S installs (or to place an earth rod). However, when I was looking for something else entirely I came across this single-phase 100A PEN fault detector. What would be the use case for this? Would you ever need to (or want to) protect a whole domestic install with one of these?

Matt:e Single Phase Auto Reset PEN Fault Protection with 100A MCB

Thanks for your thoughts
A.

Hi All,

I understand the requirement for PEN fault detection on EV chargers for TN-C-S installs (or to place an earth rod). However, when I was looking for something else entirely I came across this single-phase 100A PEN fault detector. What would be the use case for this? Would you ever need to (or want to) protect a whole domestic install with one of these?

Matt:e Single Phase Auto Reset PEN Fault Protection with 100A MCB

Thanks for your thoughts
A.
Presumably the design intention of it is for supplying multiple chargepoints, though it seems somewhat unrealistic to connect 100A of EV charging capacity to a single phase supply.

The main use for an open-PEN system in my mind are situations where you cannot safely allow the CPC to be used due to shock risk, but also you are not in a position to TT earth the load(s) or whole installation (e.g. no safe / practical rod location, or bonded utilities still espose you to the PEN connection).

There is a good argument that for most purposes TN-C-S (with its attended risk of open-PEN fault) is still safer than TT with the reliance on (in many cases a single rarely-tested) RCD for fault disconnection. But clearly some cases that is not the case so you need either this sort of a box, a TT supply, or an EV charger that has the open-PEN fault protection built in.

Reply to PEN Fault Detection on Whole Install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net