Discuss PIR Bulkhead Light Wiring Problem - Help Needed Please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Q

quality1st

I have a bulkhead light with an integral PIR fitted outside my garage. The light is fed from a 2 gang light switch inside the garage. The 2nd gang on that switch feeds the interior fluorescent lights in the garage. The feed into that switch is spurred across from one 'IN' terminal to the other. The feed from the switch to the bulkhead light also feeds 2 standard (non-PIR) bulkhead lights outside the garage.
I have wired the bulkhead light exactly in accordance with the instructions, but the PIR function does not work. The light is either permanently on, when the switch is on, or off when the switch is off. I have tried swapping out the pIR light with a brand new spare I had, but that one won't work either.
What am I doing wrong ?
Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Two scenarios spring to mind. You have the permanent live in the slave or overide connection or it may be the type that goes into maintainance mode when powered up, sometimes you have to switch them off and back on within a couple of seconds, read the installation leaflet particularly the commisioning part.

sounds like you are connecting the feed from the switch to the output side of the pir. you need a permanent live feed to the input side of the pir.

post a pic of the connections in the pir light. also, as truckster has said, if you power the pir up, it will light the light. leave it on for a minute and it should go off, then it's on auto, pir activates light after dark.

Last edited:
post a pic of the connections in the pir light. also, as truckster has said, if you power the pir up, it will light the light. leave it on for a minute and it should go off, then it's on auto, pir activates light after dark.

Thanks for the swift responses. I did all that - followed the instructions to the letter - trouble is the light doesn't ever go past the initial lighting up - it doesn't go off at all.
So I took the light off and wired it directly to a 13amp socket - same problem !

I think the light(s) must be faulty - I bought them quite a long time ago - years - from B&Q !

How long did you leave it for?...some pirs need up to 5mins just warm up on the first power up...

Ive had similiar problems before sat in the van waiting for the light to go out, waiting, doesnt happen, get the step ladders back out, about to go up and it goes off, typical lol...

Reply to PIR Bulkhead Light Wiring Problem - Help Needed Please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net