Discuss PIR LED Floodlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All
If anyone has used and fitted the LED floodlights in the title and if so be so kind tell me if the 10-50w with single SMD PIR LED floodlights give an equivalent brightness compared to 150w-500w halogen floods as I Havnt used any but I am considering purchasing 2 to replace 2 faulty 500W floods which are used to illuminate a driveway they are about 8 metres above the ground on a gable wall

thanks appreciate it just want to be sure they are ok before purchasing as theyre 3-4 times more expensive than the halogen

Cheers I have 2 halogen which have been there about 10 years lol so about time they were replaced as they have become faulty over the last year or so one wont switch off and one wont come on due to faulty PIRs so theyre both isolated at the minute

They say they can detect upto 12 metres its possibly less than 8 metres but the old halogen worked well if a little expensive to run lol as I had 3
1 of which i have already replaced hich has a energy efficiant spiral lamp but gives off a poor blue light
so this time I thught i would try these
just wanted to check they work ok before purchasing as i wont get much change from about £60-70

cheers

try convertabulb. they do them in various sizes. their prices are reasonable. roughly for 300watts, you need a 30 watt LED, for 500w, a 50w LED. but if you contact them, they'll give you the lumen outputs of the various ones so you can compare. a 500watt halogen is roughly 3000 lumens.

great lights mate. I installed 3 last year and the light off them was great. is that £30 each light with pir ?[/QUOTE

Hi mate yes thats £30 a light with PIR think they were 20 watt they do 10W - 50W but the larger the wattage the larger the fitting looks as if the 10w versions are similar size to the 120-150w halogens you can get and the 20w looks about same size as a 500w halogen
the larger wattage versions look a little to large to be stuck on the side of a dwelling

anyway hows things mate been a while

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be better to run three plain floods (and they are bright) from a separate PIR at the entrance side?

Hi elmer
1 is on the rear of the property
and 2 are on the side of the property were the car is stored behind a set of large gates no access for anyone but me lol
so I could use 1 pir for these but prefer independent switching and detection
access is via the front
these are on the gable end at each end at the height of the gutters the one nearest the front picks up anyone coming through the front and middle set of gates and the 1 towards the rear picks up the rear gate and were the bins are stored

sounds like I live in a large property, with all these gates which couldnt be further from the truth lol

try convertabulb. they do them in various sizes. their prices are reasonable. roughly for 300watts, you need a 30 watt LED, for 500w, a 50w LED. but if you contact them, they'll give you the lumen outputs of the various ones so you can compare. a 500watt halogen is roughly 3000 lumens.

cheers Tel will have a look mate not heard of them

just searching for other items i need as well for the mrs mum and dad, small job I have been waiting to do and they keep changing when, what, where. etc

Last edited:
Hi elmer
(A) 1 is on the rear of the property
and 2 are on the side of the property were the car is stored behind a set of large gates no access for anyone but me lol
so I could use 1 pir for these but prefer independent switching and detection

(B) sounds like I live in a large property, with all these gates which couldnt be further from the truth lol

As soon as I clicked "post" I thought (A) and then (B)!

LED Flood Lights are fantastic but the problem you will have is the PIR - they only tend to work upto 4 meters.
Try and place a PIR lower down or multiple PIRs in parallel to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realise this is a bit out of date but I have recently fitted some 50W led floodlights which I bought from Convertabulb as Tel recommended.

The customer wanted 500W equivalent and I was worried these might not be up to the task even though they state 500W equivalent, however the customer was very happy with the light it gave off. These offer 4500 lumens and are 'day' light

Convertabulb are very helpful and post out the next day. I only paid £50 for each 50W floodlight as they discount for trade (website price is £69.99). That was for the first order, the price will now be £52.50 each (still happy with that).

They no longer sell LED floods with PIR's though, cant remember why, they just dont.

When I put the flood 8m up the telegraph pole I simple put a stand alone PIR at 2.5m and this worked well. Very dubious about the 12m range they state (this was the cheaper screwfix one). I measured it at around 7-8 meters, so it might not be great if its already 8m up a pole unless your actually cuddling the pole.... and perhaps jump up a little at the same time! This is just based on the one PIR I have used though others may live up to their stated range.

Just thought I should check out some of your posts Brucelee after you gave very kindly gave me 6 likes :D:smiley2:

Reply to PIR LED Floodlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net