Discuss PIR light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Would just like some advice on the wiring for a PIR light, the PIR is built into the light I would like to be able to switch it. I mean, when you turn the switch on, it overrides the PIR and turns the light on, and when you turn the switch off, it goes into PIR mode, I have been told this is fairly straight forward, but i keep getting conflicting wiring instructions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a blank wiring diagram, if anyone could fill this in for me, I would be extremely greatfull.

All the best.

Chris img086.jpg

Welcome to the forum Chris.

You need access to the switch wire in the PIR Light fitting, if you have only got L/N/E terminals then you cannot do it. Some fittings come with smart switching option, if you turn the switch/power off and on a few times very quickly it goes into over-ride mode, I would check your fitting instructions.

As you diagram goes, you show no switch terminal at the PIR so I'm not surprised you are scratching your head.

You can sometimes get access to the wiring between the PIR and lamp (not always) Then its a question of which wire to cut and join; assume brown or black, blue, Green/yellow are taken for, that leaves red or white or yellow as the switch line - happy soldering.

Alternatively, dump it and buy a lamp and separate PIR sensor then you can have multiway switching using the PIR as one of the switches......

it makes sense as the position of the light may not be the ideal position for the PIR. these new-fangled LED ones are diabolical as you can't elevate the PIR angle to get a decent pick up range without having the light shining up into the sky.

Reply to PIR light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net