Discuss PIR switch kills 2d flourescant bulbs after just a month? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TB plumbing

To anyone who can offer advice.
I have PIR movement detectors in my hallways which currently switch flush ceiling mounted bulkheads which carry 2d flourescant fittings (32 or 38 watt I think) I am experiencing extremely short 2d bulb life span and have since learnt that for reasons I am unaware of that these bulbs do not like being switched by the pir or that somehow the frequency with which they are switched on and off is seriously degrading the life span of the bulb. I want to keep the switching of the lighting automated with the PIRs can someone suggest alternative light fixtures or bulb types that will not have this issue but will still carry low energy consumption bulbs? Are there surface mounted light fittings that carry 2d flourescants that are compatible with PIR switching? Any assistance with this matter would be greatly apreciated. Thankyou in advance for your assistance.

tricky one here. my best option would be to fit fittings with 40watt halogen candle bulbs. the higher running costs would be offset by the initiallow cost and long life.

Are there 2d fittings for frequent on off cycles? Different ballasts perhaps? I am sure the comercial sector regularly uses pir automated switching to both dim and switch flourescant lighting is there really no such thing for the domestic market?

Me thinks this could be a false economy here because flourecent type lamps are designed to be switched on and stay on I dont think they were meant to be switched on 7-8 times an hour

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to PIR switch kills 2d flourescant bulbs after just a month? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net