Discuss PIR switches in cheap B&Q security lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paulgault

Hi,

i've got an external security light (500w hallogen lamp) that comes on when the passive infra-red detects someone is there. i wanna boost the coverage a bit with a second (or even third) light.

i'm thinking of wiring them up so that when one light comes on they all come on. to do this i'll have to wire the PIR switches in parallel which then feed the lamps in parallel. this way as soon as one PIR switches the circuit on all lamps will light.

my main concern is that they're cheap B&Q bits of kit and i'm wondering if the PIRs will be up to it. if just one PIR switches and opens the circuit the current for 2 (or even 3) lamps will be flowing through it and i'm wondering if they'll be able to cope?

any thoughts?

Paul

If the lights are designed to allow switching of additional load, the instructions will say so and the maximum load will be stated. If not, you take the risk of overloading the PIRs and killing them. You'd be better off fitting good quality separate PIRs, properly specified for the job.

Reply to PIR switches in cheap B&Q security lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there, I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm an I.T.. engineer with some outdated electrical experience. I qualified C&G 2330 17th edition about 15 years ago, but my only experience...
Replies
Views
I needed to illuminate our dark side walk at the house. I have used two PIRs wired in parallel which switch four LED lights. The idea is no matter...
Replies
Views
can anyone please advise on where the wires go? My electrician installed a new cable ready for when I bought a security light. The cable as shown...
Replies
Views
I have a security light [this one] and have wired it into the lighting circuit in my workshop; the lights in the workshop are all LED panels...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock