Discuss Plasterer retraining to be an Electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

Im new to the forum so wanted to drop a message and introduce myself. Im about to begin my level 2 at night college this September. my long term aim is to achieve level 2 and 3 at college, then seek employment to work towards my NVQ, and AM2. a long way to go yet I understand, but I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

Im 36 at the moment and have been involved in the construction industry since the age of 15. I had a 7 year stint the Royal Marines, and a couple of years in Sales as a Business Development Manager, but have always come back to my trade as a plasterer. I have always been interested in becoming an electrician, but have never pursued it as it will naturally come with a salary drop initially. however I'm not getting any younger, plastering isn't getting any easier and if I don't do it now, I never will.

I just wanted to reach out and maybe hear from people in a similar position, or those that have taken the night college route, along side full time employment. it would also be good to hear from people from the same area, who would maybe be looking for extra hands in the not so distant future. I'm also considering reaching out to local companies, to get stuck into some work experience at weekends.

Aaron

As above, a lot of domestic work is not terribly easy on the knees, etc.

If you are looking at more commercial/industrial work it can be a bit easier, but often a bit more depending on your level of skill/training. It is well worth considering, but others on here are much better able to advise than myself.

Welcome, and go for it!
You have a unique selling point to help you, I'm sure many sparks would be glad of an apprentice who is a time-served plasterer who can bond in a chase in his sleep or cover up the last accident without blinking an eyelid!
Feel free to give us a running commentary on how you are finding the training.

You have a unique selling point to help you, I'm sure many sparks would be glad of an apprentice who is a time-served plasterer who can bond in a chase in his sleep or cover up the last accident without blinking an eyelid!
Brilliant point!
Yes, keep us informed.

In my current house I have tried to skim the ceiling in my bedroom to cover the old artex nobbles. What a blooming fig of a job that is. I have been over it several times with fresh skim and I am still not 100% happy with my finsih.
If anyone out there can skim a perfectly smooth wall or ceiling than I reckon they can do sparky work no problem.
Go for it...

In my current house I have tried to skim the ceiling in my bedroom to cover the old artex nobbles. What a blooming fig of a job that is. I have been over it several times with fresh skim and I am still not 100% happy with my finsih.
If anyone out there can skim a perfectly smooth wall or ceiling than I reckon they can do sparky work no problem.
Go for it...

My experience of plastering extends to a limited number of 'needs must' situations and it's not a job to be taken lightly.

On the flip side, it'll be great to know that at least one plasterer will get to experience the joy of fitting flat plate accessories to uneven walls.

My experience of plastering extends to a limited number of 'needs must' situations and it's not a job to be taken lightly.

On the flip side, it'll be great to know that at least one plasterer will get to experience the joy of fitting flat plate accessories to uneven walls.
And knocking out big clumps of plaster from the boxes then having chunks missing the plate doesn’t cover.

Some might call that Karma.

Electrics isn't any easier, today I've been stuck in the tiniest and hottest loft ever, you needed to be a contortionist just to get through the hatch.
yes I see what you mean. granted its not all as glamorous as some may think. for me its the monotony and the repetitive nature of plastering, that I'm finding tiring. its the same thing every day, 3 x a day for as long as a set of skimming lasts.

As above, a lot of domestic work is not terribly easy on the knees, etc.

If you are looking at more commercial/industrial work it can be a bit easier, but often a bit more depending on your level of skill/training. It is well worth considering, but others on here are much better able to advise than myself.
initially ill be open to any kind of work I can get my hands on. but in the long term my ultimate aim is to be employed in commercial. I don't do any domestic work as a plasterer, it's a pain in the hole.

Welcome, and go for it!
hi Tim, thanks for the reply. I will definitely post as I go along, once I get started.

Go for it...
Artex is without a doubt one of the worst backgrounds to tackle. it's a different approach to most walls/ceilings. makes you wonder why it was ever a thing.

And knocking out big clumps of plaster from the boxes then having chunks missing the plate doesn’t cover.

Some might call that Karma.
one thing I never do. most plasterers lay on straight over sockets. I've never understood it. I've always laid on around them, and then troweled over when flattening in. next to no plaster left in sockets and one less thing for me to clean up. as mentioned above though, most plasterers are bell ends.

Artex is without a doubt one of the worst backgrounds to tackle. it's a different approach to most walls/ceilings. makes you wonder why it was ever a thing.
In all honestly I wish I hadn't even bothered to try to over skim my artex bedroom ceiling. But it was Covid lockdown and the Wife kept nagging me to try and do it, so I ordered a bag of skim and 'HAd a Go'

I'm still not happy with the job I did and wish I hadn't bothered

I’m normally quite good at emptying boxes of plaster but I made a right mess of one this morning. I was also travelling light so had to get creative.
There was a bag of multi skim still on site, I ended up with a Costa coffee cup to mix in, a stick from the garden to mix with, and a laminate floor spacer as a trowel!

Reply to Plasterer retraining to be an Electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net