Discuss Preferred Bathroom Power Supplies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ceekay

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Was just wondering what you thoughts are on the following;
En-suite Bathroom - Require power for ceiling in line fan, Power for towel Rail heater, Power for Shaver Socket, Power for heated mirror mat, Power for light above mirror, Power for light in wall cuboard. There is obviously power above the en-suite ceiling for the downlights and also a socket radial circuit in the loft above the en-suite. Just wondering what your preferred methods may be in which power to take supply from for which items and how you would fuse down and also isolate each item? Also if placing an isolator in line would you leave it in the loft space or accessable say above the bathroom door as I probably would with the fan isolator for instance its just quite afew items with in this case more than 1 source of power available.

I also have underfloor heating to supply but have a dedicated circuit for this and a speaker system to install but they dont really effect the above.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts obviously taking into account the regulations and the choice's available in this case.

Hi Guys

En-suite Bathroom - Require power for ceiling in line fan, Power for towel Rail heater, Power for Shaver Socket, Power for heated mirror mat, Power for light above mirror, Power for light in wall cuboard. There is obviously power above the en-suite ceiling for the downlights and also a socket radial circuit in the loft above the en-suite. Just wondering what your preferred methods may be in which power to take supply from for which items and how you would fuse down and also isolate each item? Also if placing an isolator in line would you leave it in the loft space or accessable say above the bathroom door as I probably would with the fan isolator for instance its just quite afew items with in this case more than 1 source of power available.

I also have underfloor heating to supply but have a dedicated circuit for this and a speaker system to install but they dont really effect the above.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts obviously taking into account the regulations and the choice's available in this case.

If you're doing the install yourself should you really be asking?

Hi Guys

Since all RCD protected, I'd put the fan, shaver socket, heated mirror, mirror light and cupboard light all on the lighting circuit. No need for local isolation, except perhaps the fan for mechanical maintenance, which I'd put next to the fan in the loft, as that's where you'd be maintaining it. No need to fuse down unless specified in the manufacturer's instructions for the individual items of equipment.

The towel rail I'd put on the socket circuit as it'll be a few hundred watts, so probably best not hung on the lighting circuit.

as above , but i'd be inclined to add the heated mirror mat to the RFC via a FCU, rather than on the lighting.

my thoughts were not just the loading, but the fact that the mat is on the floor and would be easier to feed from the RFC.

Eh? I thought we were talking about a heater mat for a mirror on the wall.

However, maybe you have something there, tel. Mirror flooring in the bathroom! :dizzy2:

i read it as a heated floor mat where you stand in front of the mirror.

all this faff for a bloody bathroom. as far as i'm concerned, it's in the bath, quick scrub, out and dried as quick as possible. and that's every christmas.

lots of stuff in there, count the maximum load, if possible fuse down into 13a, end up all the wires somewhere near the bathroom door, end up with fused spurs and/or double pole isolators, use grid switches its gonna look tidy.

fan, shaver socket, mirror light and cupboard light from existing lighting circuit.

towel rail and under floor heating from the new radial you are sticking in.

Thanks guys much appreciated and yes it is abit overkill (pardon the pun) but it is for family.

just a quick point sorry for the confusion but it was a mirror demister pad I was talking about although there will be UFH as well.

oh and for the few critics out there, yes as a sparky I probably should know the best way to wire all this but there was options and all would be within the regs and if we all were so sure about everything we wouldn't have a forum that helps each other out and shares info. Unfortunately just a desk jockey nowadays so not as competent as many of you so thought I would ask the question.

thanks again guys all advice taken on board

Reply to Preferred Bathroom Power Supplies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net