Discuss primary current calculation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trebor

First question from the 2391-20 this week

18 x 24 volt soldering irons to be supplied by a transformer via elv sockets, what is the design current of the primary circuit

i said the secondary load was 360va so choose a 400va transformer
the primary would be 400/230 = 1.73A, am I wrong or really wrong

can't see how you can calcx. the va as you are only given the voltage of the irons, not the wattage.

can't be. wouldn't get even warm at 1.2watt. the q. just says 18 24v soldering irons. no mention of wattage or amperage.

If you take the soldering iron wattage of 18 watts even though its a transformer the primery current will be roughly the same as if it was 230 volt , reason for this is the lower the voltage the higher the current , so if you have you 24volt 18 watt soldering iron the current on the secondary will be 0.75 amps but the primery wattage would be calcultaed by using the same method but 230 volts so 18 /230 0.078 amps so if you have 20 soldering irons at 20 x 18 watts = 360 watt so 360 / 230 = 1.6 amps

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd calc. by the wattage 360w/230= 1.565A, then allow for losses ( 5% ), design current =1.65A.

Now thats wet everyones appetite heres the rest attached, perhaps Lenny can move it somewhere more suitable

Attachments

• 2391-20 June 2011.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 25

Reply to primary current calculation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there im in training, but my question is using using a 3 phase 480v delta to 208/120 delta transformer 30kva and wiring it in reverse for 208...
Replies
Views
Hi All, First of all apologies for the potentially novice sounding question believe it or not I’ve been a qualified electrician for 10 years but...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post here. I have a little experience with most types of household wiring through a decade of DIY remodeling, and...
Replies
Views
I thought that I posted this in the DIY part of the forum but I believe I did not. I am sorry about that. I put in a 10' x 20' metal shed about...
Replies
Views
My brain has been exercised a bit by this. Am I on the right lines with this extremely simplified example: If we take: -TNCS installation with a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock