Discuss Probably nothing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jonnygman

Just had a split load Wyler board installed in my house happy in the knowledge that everything now up to scratch........my question is I was expecting to have the odd nuisance trip or two but up too now I've not had a jot. A lamp went the other day in the bedroom just refused to work but the circuit never tripped this got me wondering if I have a problem?.

have you got an installation certificate. ? that will have the trip times of the RCD/s recorded. if you don't have any earth faults, you should not get any trips.

I'd be happy that the lamp going didn't cause a trip, not worried about it not doing so :)

Assuming you got an installation certificate showing it had all been tested correctly I wouldn't worry at all.

Yep give both RCDs a test (via test button) plus just because a lamp goes does not mean the MCB should trip but while you are at it replace the lamp and check the rating of the MCB that supplies it should be 6 amps

Yeah the buttons work I also have a fluke voltage tester that does rcd trip test and this functioned as it should. Just thought a bulb popping would trip the mcb I realise it would take a good amount of overcurrent to trip 6 amp mcb instantaneous so that may be why it never tripped ?.

ah, lamps can fail and cause no tripping at all. sometimes, though, a lamp can fail catastrophically, causing the gas inside to ionise and become super conductive for as split second. this give rise to a high current which will blow a fuse or cause MCB to trip.

Yeah the buttons work I also have a fluke voltage tester that does rcd trip test and this functioned as it should. Just thought a bulb popping would trip the mcb I realise it would take a good amount of overcurrent to trip 6 amp mcb instantaneous so that may be why it never tripped ?.

can you post the certificate blanking the address and names

I got the impression (not sure where from) that this was most likely to happen if the bulb blows when it is already on. if it blows on switch on (which is most common I think) then it is less likely to ionise.

Could be complete rubbish though!

Thanks Rojas I have a local spark that will come and visit, posted here cos I did not want to bother him about a lamp, I'm pretty handy could prob test myself as I have LV authorisations through my work but I'm not a spark to trade so better off posting for the things I'm not sure of, maybe learn something !

I got the impression (not sure where from) that this was most likely to happen if the bulb blows when it is already on. if it blows on switch on (which is most common I think) then it is less likely to ionise.

Could be complete rubbish though!

you may be right.

Reply to Probably nothing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net