Discuss Problem circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd seek some advice on something has been frustrating, and the frustration may now be clouding judgement....!

It was 30A rewirable fuse, 6mm T+E, at unknown point changing to 4mm SWA feeding CU in shed.
At point of CU change I discovered one double socket and a FCU also fed 'somehow' from this circuit.
Since board change it's been disconnected as there have been higher priorities to sort like broken rings and live abandoned cables.
I should add this is all in a house where 'trust nothing' applies, already found taped live cables in walls and loft, and all sort of random DIY-ness. I wanted to have some confidence how this had been done as I didn't really know what I was potentially reconnecting, which on the basis of other things seen could be absolutely anything at all.

My original thinking was that had it been just an FCU on a spur, or just one single socket, that would seem ok as current is limited to 13A on the spur.

After some faffing around with a camera, by some miracle I've found one joint box. It's in a stud wall, but one side is tiled floor to ceiling, then plasterboard on top of that. The other side is tiled from worktop up. The joint box is just above worktop height (of course!). It's a flat roof above. This is another one of those "why make it beautiful and then think about electrics" cases.

By pulling the under-worktop cupboard out and making a discreet hole that will be hidden I can rest now my hand on the joint box and confirm that it has the 6mm T+E in and out, and a 2.5 T+E going to double socket, and 2.5 T+E going from there on to the FCU. So I at least know how it's wired now.

Options seem to be:
1 - make an almighty mess to get access to joint box, remove spur and check connections, and run new radial for socket and FCU.
2 - safely terminate the 2.5 T+E coming out of the joint box in a dry-wall box below worktop and run a new radial into the area for the socket and FCU. The Sub-main could then be connected again.
3 - Possibly omit double socket, and use spur from joint box to feed FCU. My understanding is that this would be permitted.

I've still not found where the T+E becomes SWA but might have to trust that one as long as it all tests out ok.
So main question is what you think of options 2 and 3. Do they seem reasonable?

I feel so sorry for this customer. Everything seems to rapidly turn into a mini nightmare and nothing has been done right.
I've not been able to bring myself to point out that the saniflo toilet ejects it's waste in washing machine waste hose - I'm no plumber but fairy sure that 32mm PVC pipe is the usual standard....

I feel so sorry for this customer. Everything seems to rapidly turn into a mini nightmare and nothing has been done right.
I've not been able to bring myself to point out that the saniflo toilet ejects it's waste in washing machine waste hose - I'm no plumber but fairy sure that 32mm PVC pipe is the usual standard....
Poo

whoever installed that saniflow may be nominated for "wet-pants of the year" award. by defying the laws of physics poosics (sh*t flows downhill) , he could rewrite the plumbers guide to gravity.

Sadly there are many residences that have been hacked about over the years, not done to Regs and some dangerously so. I would discuss methods to remedy with Owner as some will see the long term benefit of the full (but messy) job.

Keep looking for the SWA starting point, as it will likely be
1619338656269.png
too :) .

Reply to Problem circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net