Discuss Problem installing smart doorbell in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

TMKitty

DIY
Reaction score
I've bought a ring wired doorbell and I've run in to a spot of bother trying to install it.

The transformer is above my connection box in the hall cupboard. The chime is through the wall next to my front door. It says to attach the jumper cable to the trans and front terminals none of the terminals are marked or look anything like any of the diagrams I've seen online.

Where should I attach the jumper cable? Someone suggested connecting the two blue wires to each other and doing the same with the brown to bypass the chime but wouldn't that stop power going to the doorbell?

TL;DR
In the picture shown, where should I attach the jumper cable for my ring doorbell.

Attachments

• 20220507_020705.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 29
Difficult to suggest a solution from your picture as it is not known what any of the connected cables are connected to

Difficult to suggest a solution from your picture as it is not known what any of the connected cables are connected to
Yeah. I've had a look for any documentation for the bell but I've had no luck. All I know is that it's a friedland because that's the name on the casing.

All you are trying to achieve is to connect the transformer directly to the Ring doorbell, leaving the old chime completely out of the circuit, apart from unecessarily using some of its terminals as a joint box. The supplied link cable contain a small component which tests the same as a straight piece of wire, so I assume it's a fuse, which that should be included in the circuit.
The supplied instructions are confusing, and are best binned.

All you are trying to achieve is to connect the transformer directly to the Ring doorbell, leaving the old chime completely out of the circuit, apart from unecessarily using some of its terminals as a joint box. The supplied link cable contain a small component which tests the same as a straight piece of wire, so I assume it's a fuse, which that should be included in the circuit.
The supplied instructions are confusing, and are best binned.
That's what the jumper cable looks like. I need to attach that before I install the bell but I don't have a clue where to put it. All the instructions/diagrams I've found online are for straightforward chimes with a trans, front, rear terminal. Even the diagram on the ring site for a chime with a separate transformer wasn't helpful.

Attachments

• 20220508_183709.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 7
All you are trying to achieve is to connect the transformer directly to the Ring doorbell,
Throw the instructions away. They just create confusion by making a very simple operation appear complicated.
Your pic. shows two blue wires and two brown wires, so presumably your bell has been wired with 230V rated two core flex, one flex coming from the transformer, and the other to the bell push.
All you need to do is join the two brown wires together and the two blue wires together. If the old chime is staying in place to hide the wires, then any one of the terminals can be used to join one of the pairs together (or you can use a new connector and remove the old chime altogether), and the other pair should be joined together using the supplied link cable, so as to include what I think is a fuse.

Throw the instructions away. They just create confusion by making a very simple operation appear complicated.
Your pic. shows two blue wires and two brown wires, so presumably your bell has been wired with 230V rated two core flex, one flex coming from the transformer, and the other to the bell push.
All you need to do is join the two brown wires together and the two blue wires together. If the old chime is staying in place to hide the wires, then any one of the terminals can be used to join one of the pairs together (or you can use a new connector and remove the old chime altogether), and the other pair should be joined together using the supplied link cable, so as to include what I think is a fuse.
Thank you so much!

Reply to Problem installing smart doorbell in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net