Discuss Problem with under cabinet LED lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

marksmith

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, I am hoping someone can help me with my problem. Just started renting a place and it has under cabinet LED lighting in the kitchen. It's connected to a wall switch but it takes anywhere from 2 to 50 flicks of the switch before the lights come one. I have tried slow on/off patterns, long on/off patterns and random on/off patterns and nothing seems to make sense. Persistence is the only thing that pays off. Eventually I do get the lights on but my question is; what causes this behavior? It is outside the realm of anything I've ever seen or experienced. Cheers

Possibly just a worn out wall switch.
Speak to your landlord and see if it can be replaced, or investigated further

Don’t leave it a few weeks. There could be a loose connection that may cause a fire.

Keep at them…. Daily!

It won’t be a lot of money for them to fix…
ÂŁ100-ÂŁ200 London prices (?)

I’m not going to suggest doing it yourself, which will be the cost of a switch, as 1, I don’t know your competency, and 2, the landlord could then accuse you of tampering with the electrics…

They have a duty of care to their tenants, and there are systems in place with local council etc to force them to act

Thanks. I have reported the problem but so far no response. I’ll try again in a few weeks.
Sorry to take so long to followup on this
Hi all, I am hoping someone can help me with my problem. Just started renting a place and it has under cabinet LED lighting in the kitchen. It's connected to a wall switch but it takes anywhere from 2 to 50 flicks of the switch before the lights come one. I have tried slow on/off patterns, long on/off patterns and random on/off patterns and nothing seems to make sense. Persistence is the only thing that pays off. Eventually I do get the lights on but my question is; what causes this behavior? It is outside the realm of anything I've ever seen or experienced. Cheers
Sorry to take so long to follow up on this. The owners eventually got back to us and indicated (this is through an agent so we did not have direct contact) that there was a remote. Yes, we knew there was a remote. We found it in the utensil drawer when we moved in. But in a previous query we asked what the remote was for and no one got back to us. So, the remote is for the under cabinet lighting? How does it work? So, long story short, we played around with the remote, and with the wall switch and eventually discovered this:

1. When the wall switch is turned on
2. The remote controls the on/off and brightness of the under cabinet lighting.

Wow, nice of them to have told us in the first place. It's not like this is an everyday arrangement to operate a light. In fact, I've never seen anything like it before.

Anyway, problem is solved, and I apologize for the notes of frustration and sarcasm here. It's just that, "wouldn't it be common sense if you are going to leave a remote for a tenant you leave some instructions -- hand written would be fine, explaining how the damn thing works?" I guess like everything else these days common sense has entirely gone out the window.

BTW, it is a very nice setup although once you've set the light to on (on the remote) and the brightness level we only use the wall switch to control it and could quite easily live without the remote.

But here's a mystery for you electricians. If the remote was in the off position (obviously it was) then why would the light come at all by repeatedly flicking the wall switch. Still haven't figured out how that works.

Cheers,
Mark

Reply to Problem with under cabinet LED lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net