Discuss Pulling conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

well i was using a pump action spring which was great for long runs and bends, which the nylon one was useless . pull in draw wire and walla.. easiest way so far for me

I've seen that nylon stuff. I can only find it in 30m runs though. With that are you just essentially pushing that through one end to the other and then tiein on at top end? There all kinds of methods on the web....light string and hoovers etc. I've always found pulling to be a nightmare of a job!

i find them nylon ones arnt great if few bends and longer runs..

theres a spring one which is great, costly tho, and dont be tempted to pull the cable with the spring.....

Plenty of tallow ........................ a lot of swearing ............................ and get the box lid back on quick

I always use to marveled at how much lovely different coloured PVC swarth came out of the conduit while you were pulling in new cables, especially if the conduit was on the cosy side ...............

I was always told that things like liquid soap and washing up liquid can degrade pvc over time. Don't know how true that is though.

A few thing that make life much easier are;
  • Design your circuits so that the conduit is sized to be <50% full with all the wires in.
  • Use manufactured bends or hand make your bends in 3 or 4 stages over a good radius.
  • Make sure there's no more than 2 bends per conduit run.
  • Pull slow and steady in general and especially if things become tight.
  • Avoid cable twists and criss crossed wires.

Nylon draw wire for 20mm, for larger sizes we use something which looks like a bit of curtain wire, or some polythene plumbing pipe, although it is imperative to wear safety specs as I found out to my peril when it sprung back and hit me in the eye once.
For big bunches of cables or where the conduit is getting full, rub a load of monkey spunk around the cables, maybe squirt some in the end of the tube.

If you tape bunches of singles together at regular intervals (around 6 inches) it stops them tangling and snagging quite so much.
When pulling go for the softly-softly approach - 'pull-a-pull-a-pull-a' rather than yanking the draw wire as hard as you can which usually just pulls it off the cables.

If you tape bunches of singles together at regular intervals (around 6 inches) it stops them tangling and snagging quite so much.
When pulling go for the softly-softly approach - 'pull-a-pull-a-pull-a' rather than yanking the draw wire as hard as you can which usually just pulls it off the cables.

Bits of lads ............................you should be able to tow a caravan that is hitched to a truck that is pulling a container with a joint ..................so my old sparks use to tell me.

I find that staggering the cables onto the draw tape works well. Using ideal industries- aqua gel (cable lube) works wonders, as does designing the conduit well in the first place.
If i know im going to have a tight run, then i pull all the cbales through that peice of conduit at once.

Reply to Pulling conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net