Search the forum,

Discuss Purchased a new Lutron dimmer switch, but am running into problems. Thanks for any help. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Porknz

DIY
Reaction score
Novice here wondering what I might be missing. Thanks for any help.

I am swapping out an old switch in the bathroom to a dimmer switch. When I did so, I found out the Lutron switch I purchased, doesn't have the screws on the side that I'm used to. It has it's own wires coming out. I was able to connect the switch fairly easily, and the light works, and the dimmer dims, but that's where the problems start.

The switch also turns on a second light, and that doesn't turn on now. It is also connected to the other switch in the box, which turns on the fan, and that doesn't turn on now. There was a little wire connecting the two screws on the two switches, but I don't have that anymore, because no screws, and so I seem to only be powering the single switch now.

Not sure if that word vomit made any sense in my novice language, but I appreciate any help.

My goal is to get that dimmer switch back on, but have it wired so that the second light on the first switch and the fan on the other switch are powered again.

Thank you.

Novice here wondering what I might be missing. Thanks for any help.

I am swapping out an old switch in the bathroom to a dimmer switch. When I did so, I found out the Lutron switch I purchased, doesn't have the screws on the side that I'm used to. It has it's own wires coming out. I was able to connect the switch fairly easily, and the light works, and the dimmer dims, but that's where the problems start.

The switch also turns on a second light, and that doesn't turn on now. It is also connected to the other switch in the box, which turns on the fan, and that doesn't turn on now. There was a little wire connecting the two screws on the two switches, but I don't have that anymore, because no screws, and so I seem to only be powering the single switch now.

Not sure if that word vomit made any sense in my novice language, but I appreciate any help.

My goal is to get that dimmer switch back on, but have it wired so that the second light on the first switch and the fan on the other switch are powered again.

Thank you.
The only way you can fix this is cut all power off. You didn’t put back the live wire to the other 2 switches.

The only way you can fix this is cut all power off. You didn’t put back the live wire to the other 2 switches.
I put it back to the way it was to start and have the two new switches removed again. I'm not sure what to do with the two different switches. I'm still thrown by how these Lutron switches are built.

I'm not sure how to put the live wire to the other two fixtures. Can you help me with that at all from the original setup? I'm not sure how to run a hot wire between the two switches anymore, but also a little thrown that the new dimmer switch didn't at least turn on both lights on the new switch. The other switch is the fan, so that makes more sense when there isn't a line running between the two switches.

Thanks for your patience.

Figured things out. Thanks for the help. Original wiring only had one wire going to the bottom of the left switch. Found some spare wire and cut an extra jumper. That allowed me to get everything working.

Thanks again.

Reply to Purchased a new Lutron dimmer switch, but am running into problems. Thanks for any help. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net