Discuss Qualifying Electrician Courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lexington

Hi, I am looking to change careers and become an electrician. I have a friend who is doing a course with Rft training, when he complete's the course he will gain City & Guilds (2382) – 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations (Level 3), Logic Full Scope Electrical Part P Scheme, City & Guilds (2392) Certificate in Fundamental Inspection and Testing and Initial Verification and Logic Certification Domestic Periodic Inspection and Testing Award. This in total costs around £7000. Which is pretty expensive for me. I was wondering if anybody knows of any other courses which lead to industry recognised qualifications but for a lower price. I would need to be able to train in my spare time as I will need to continue working and the training would need to be based in the North West.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

local college is where id start, and get sucking up a spark who will let you tag along... hopefully for pay not for free... its cheaper but will take longer

Hi mate try to get on with a spark and go college as 7K is a lot for basic quals even when your pal has passed he will have enough quals to apply to elecsa or NIC to become a member of a competent person scheme but will only be classed as a domestic installer
Also the requirments for joining a competent person scheme are changing from january you will have to have a nvq lv3 or similar where as at the minute you would only need 17th edition C&G 2382
A lot of electricians wouldnt class you as a competent after 6 - 8 weeks of training for 7 k you will only get basic training and quals

to be classed as a electrician by JIB you will need 2330 techical certificate to lv3 and nvq 2356 lv3 both of these are ending and being replaced with C&G 2357 to enrol for this new qualification you would have to be working in the industry

i know all this as i had to take the same route as your pal and wish i had jsut gone the college route and saved me some of my hard earned savings i did the course with RF training but did it for 4k as it was slightly different than quals above basically i have been involved with electrical installation on and off for 25 yrs but needed some quals as i gave my apprenticeship up like a idiot and paid for it now I did the course to learn more on the theory and inspection ad testing But ended up doing aother course at bury college for 2391 which was at bury college and this was a lot more in depth on the subject of inspection and testing
since the RF course above I have taken 2391-10 lv3 inspection and testing course and also doing 2330 lv3 and have registered for a NVQ LV3 which unless i get the work will be difficult to complete and gather the required evidence which is based on the work you carry out meeting the criteria they set

Mate if i was you i would think of Plumbing or some other trade as the pay is more and would be easier to get into
dont fall for the shortage of electricias scam and earning £35k in a week of passing ITS a complete scam the whole electrical industry is a mess and these providers , goverment etc have no idea of the real world scenario

good luck mate think long and hard before handing oevr 7k

Last edited:
hello mate

try the btc in croyden ,good prices and the people who work there are brillient guys,very help full.Construction Training the building training center. 02086499340. good luck with your serch.hope this will help you

Hi mate try to get on with a spark and go college as 7K is a lot for basic quals even when your pal has passed he will have enough quals to apply to elecsa or NIC to become a member of a competent person scheme but will only be classed as a domestic installer
Also the requirments for joining a competent person scheme are changing from january you will have to have a nvq lv3 or similar where as at the minute you would only need 17th edition C&G 2382
A lot of electricians wouldnt class you as a competent after 6 - 8 weeks of training for 7 k you will only get basic training and quals

to be classed as a electrician by JIB you will need 2330 techical certificate to lv3 and nvq 2356 lv3 both of these are ending and being replaced with C&G 2357 to enrol for this new qualification you would have to be working in the industry

i know all this as i had to take the same route as your pal and wish i had jsut gone the college route and saved me some of my hard earned savings i did the course with RF training but did it for 4k as it was slightly different than quals above basically i have been involved with electrical installation on and off for 25 yrs but needed some quals as i gave my apprenticeship up like a idiot and paid for it now I did the course to learn more on the theory and inspection ad testing But ended up doing aother course at bury college for 2391 which was at bury college and this was a lot more in depth on the subject of inspection and testing
since the RF course above I have taken 2391-10 lv3 inspection and testing course and also doing 2330 lv3 and have registered for a NVQ LV3 which unless i get the work will be difficult to complete and gather the required evidence which is based on the work you carry out meeting the criteria they set

Mate if i was you i would think of Plumbing or some other trade as the pay is more and would be easier to get into
dont fall for the shortage of electricias scam and earning £35k in a week of passing ITS a complete scam the whole electrical industry is a mess and these providers , goverment etc have no idea of the real world scenario

good luck mate think long and hard before handing oevr 7k

wise words bruce, i cant believe these scam providers are still selling the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when the industry is on its knees really.if anyone wants to think about doing it,go to college,it takes a long time but its way cheaper you will understand more(like there is no difference in the principles of electricity just because its in a house) and the game might have improved in 4 yrs time and you may have the knowledge to move into other electrical disciplines,too many i want to be a spark,but ive got wife/kids bills to pay so i need it all in 5 weeks..its destroying the industry..imo like..

Go through your local college on day release. Retraining is not a quick fix- by going down the college route you will be able to work the other 4 days and build your experience at the same time as qualifying.

H
i lenny cheers for post so they are still messing around with the quals and the last registration for the 2330 and 2356

I had this mess about tryng to get on a course last sept and again march this year finally got a lv3 course on what was the last registration date 31.3.11 then after repeatedly contacting colleges withinn 100mile radius
and also C&G repeatedly telling me it was ending between them and the government they have and are ruining the only thing i ever wanted to do as a job
I enrolled then turned up on the day to start the course only to find out i had wasted my time and petrol as C&G extended meaning all lv2 that had been fast tracked to enrol for lv3 had now returned to lv2 leaving me with no course and having my fee i had paid returned
I went in and basically told them that they had a duty to deliver a course that i had signed for and for the course fee i had paid after speaking to finance dept and then she the director of college this was agreed and i was put back on the course but had to sit in with lv2 for 6 week doing lv2 sample papers to see what knowledge I had and what i lacked
then started proper sept
I can honestly say the private course i did delivered the course and learning a whole lot better than the college only prob with private is the phenomenal cost and very rushed and nowhere near enough time
But the college arent much better and possibly worse as all they do is give you handouts read through it quickly and thats the subject covered as far asthey are concerned spend to much time onregistration and messing about before we actually do anything
I am now doing my practical early for some reason should be after xmas and they havnt even told me what i will be doing for the assesment so have to turn up a bit in the dark wondering what they want me to do
The whole training programmes wether private or college are just about money and not putting the effort in to teach what is required and especially Practical training I had a fair bit of experience but lacked on the scientific principles and inspection and testing
there should be one set of quals for everyone and this should include either being in a job with experienced spark or or placements to get the practical experience in all areas of electrical installation

the best course i have done was the 2391 which was done at a entirely different college

If i pass this lv3 it will be a miracle to say the least

Last edited:

Reply to Qualifying Electrician Courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net