Discuss Quoting!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a feeling I may have talked myself out of a job!

The couple rent out their house, they started by saying they want an electric shower put in, then the electrics in the shed looked at (just fed by 2.5mm T&E dangling through the air, mixed in with the honey suckle from house!), and then went on to say they really want all the electrics in the house 'safe' and they are adamant they want everything brought up to 'current standards' even though I pointed out it was not a requirement to do so.

After a brief look around (45 mins) there are clearly going to be lots of things to do (16mm tails on 100A fuse, 6mm main earth (TNCS), no bonding to gas, sockets hanging from wall in shed, shed leaking etc etc).

I found it impossible to form an idea of how much this would cost as I felt the need to do a proper condition report which would detail everything and enable me to look at everything and see what needs doing. So I have stated I will do a condition report and then be able to give a quote. Is this what you guys would have done?

My worry is that the other electrician (getting 2 quotes) will just offer a quote straight away and they'll go for that.

Would you guys have formed some sort of quote based on just a little knowledge or gone for a condition report to get a full picture?

what to do? .... you could offer a EICR @ £150, stating that this cost would be deducted from the bill for the remedials. then quote, say £550 for the remedials which you'd worked out at £400. if you get the remedial work, you then get the £150 + the £400.and if not, you still got the £150.

As Tel says , Thats what I would do , It makes you look more professional to do an EICR and shows your willing to put the time in to check it all properly , that scores over the other guy surely , In situations like these Its best to stress that the cost of the EICR can be deducted right at the beginning , but only if work is accepted obviously , hope this helps,,,,

I use this method a lot and it really works for me,,

You don't have to go for a full written report , just a full list of all works required with you readings and then the quotation based on that ,,,

Ive toyed with that approach Tel, do you find you get many takers?

seems to work for me. as ray said, it don't have to be a full eicr, IR tests, Ze and Zs on top of a thorough visual should give enough info to make an informed quote.

Just want to ask if anyone does a quote FOC or is it standard to do an EICR and charge for it.

I always charge for an EICR then deduct it off the cost of any remedial works given to me afterwards. I initially charge because sometimes the customer may go to another electrician for a quote based on your EICR and then give the works to them, most often I get the job though and just deduct the cost back on the invoice after completion, very similar to tel basically except I take the initial payment just in case they go elsewhere.

Just want to ask if anyone does a quote FOC or is it standard to do an EICR and charge for it.

It all depends on what they want , If you get a customer asking for the house to be brought up to standard then yes , If you get a customer asking for some extra points then you could get your test gear out there and then and check out the circuit involved and along with your visual , so that wouldn't be chargeable if its only going to take a short time , If its a callout to a fault , I put the fault right if its possible then talk to them about having a quotation and the testing to fully rectify any faults and detect any other issues , and arrange to call back and that basically it all varies according to how you and the customer are able to deal with the situation , but one thing is very clear , you simply need to inspect and test before committing yourself,,

Understand that badged but if a customer wants work quoted for how can an EICR be thrown in if it hasn't been asked for.

Do you have a minimum remedial charge before you deduct anything? i.e. at £200 for an EICR say you aint going to deduct that off £150 of remedials ...... well I hope not!

It all depends on what they want , If you get a customer asking for the house to be brought up to standard then yes , If you get a customer asking for some extra points then you could get your test gear out there and then and check out the circuit involved and along with your visual , so that wouldn't be chargeable if its only going to take a short time , If its a callout to a fault , I put the fault right if its possible then talk to them about having a quotation and the testing to fully rectify any faults and detect any other issues , and arrange to call back and that basically it all varies according to how you and the customer are able to deal with the situation , but one thing is very clear , you simply need to inspect and test before committing yourself,,

Agree with that statement but surely you can't charge for it. Eg if you are quoting for a cu change and upgrading bonding etc you can't bung more money on for your site survey.

Understand that badged but if a customer wants work quoted for how can an EICR be thrown in if it hasn't been asked for.
well in that case or this case mentioned here I would estimate to replace the board and upgrade earthing etc etc and not worry about it, but suggesting an EICR wouldn't be a bad idea, however straight cash will do fine :38:

Understand now! No I'd quote just for the work they want doing FOC and like Ray says do some basic checks just to ensure you can do the work.

personally, i do a simplified eicr FOC, doing enough to know what extent of remedials are required, unless customer wants a full eicr, in which case i charge for it, and as mike says, getr paid for it as the customer may then use my eicr to get someone else to quote.

Do you have a minimum remedial charge before you deduct anything? i.e. at £200 for an EICR say you aint going to deduct that off £150 of remedials ...... well I hope not!

Yea but the customer hasn't asked for an EICR in this case so IMO it can't be charged for.

the crunch line is.. if you need the work, then you do tests and quote for free, hoping you'll get the job. usually you can tell if they are going to accept or not by their attitude.

As I said I never have a problem with this , I charge about £80 + vat for the testing and it becomes the deposit and I allow about half a day , so you have to be reasonable, at the same time it becomes a token payment for your time , theres usually no need for a full written report , but most customers I have spent time with in these circumstances are quite pleased with the way it works I have found ,,,

Yea but the customer hasn't asked for an EICR in this case so IMO it can't be charged for.

Probably gone a bit tangent, but this question Im basing on the customer requesting an EICR and how the 'discount' is applied later for corrective action.

I agree you cant charge for a full EICR if not asked for .....

Cheers guys, bit happier with what I've suggested then. I did say I would refund the the cost of the report if i get the work. The reason I thought I needed an eicr is because they weren't that specific about what they wanted I.e..everything 'up to current wiring regs', so I do need to spend a fair bit of time doing this.

I did mention a number of times that there is no requirement to have everything up to the 17th, but after a while i realised they weren't interested in hearing that (glazed, uninterested look!). .they had very clear ideas that they wanted it to the 17th! So that's what I'll do.. if they ask me back.

Reply to Quoting!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net