Discuss r1 + r2 testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R2 is Test method 2 it is used to find the continuity of both earthing and bonding conductors.

In the case of Main Equipotential bonding you would disconnect the, say water bond from your MET and croc clip it, then with at the pipe you would clip the pipe, as that is my way to ensure your BS 951 clamp is secure and do your reading, using a low resistance ohmeter

In the case of what your looking at on a distribution or final circuit, you would clip a wander lead onto you CU earth bar and at each point in the circuit you would take a reading of the CPC, with your low resistance ohmeter.The highest reading would be your R2 reading which you would put into that column. If this method is done then there is no need to do the R1+R2 test, though the majority of electricians prefer this test to the R2 one

The ring box is a tick. It would be checked off if the socket outlets in the installation was wired in a ring final circuit, if the sockets were wired in a radial then it is left unchecked.

Thanks for taking the time to write an in-depth response, Malcolm. Reading your reply has just jogged my memory and the continuity for the ring part of the sheet makes sense again now. I knew I was missing something as it made sense last week. Thanks again.

This forum is a fantastic resource. Cheers.

Little r1, rn, and r2 are end to end resistance measurements, of line, neutral and earth on a ring final circuit. Cross connecting r1 and r2 then taking a measurement of these in parallel, equals Big R1 + R2.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok cheers, bare with me with this, on a radial circuit in a house, how would you know which is the last socket?
thanks for your help :eek:
on a radial, the last socket is the one with only 1 cable in it.

Little r1, rn, and r2 are end to end resistance measurements, of line, neutral and earth on a ring final circuit. Cross connecting r1 and r2 then taking a measurement of these in parallel, equals Big R1 + R2.

from what ive been shown line end to end is R1, cpc end to end is R2 and neutral end to end is Rn.
The values of R1,R2 and Rn will indicate whether or not the conductors are continuous.
Once you cross connect the conductors to create a parallel circuit thats when they become r1 r2 rn

What you should have been shown is line end to end is r1, cpc end to end is r2 and neutral end to end is rn.
The values of r1,r2 and rn will indicate whether or not the conductors are continuous.
Once you cross connect the conductors to create a parallel circuit that's when they become R1+R2 This is documented on the initial Inspection and Testing report

OP have not got a copy of the OSG? r1 r2 and rn, as well as R1+R2 is explained in some detail, as is the explanation in GN3

Reply to r1 + r2 testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net