Discuss R2 testing and Earth loop testin down lights in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Robo

Doing an EICR. the house has loads of down lights. To test propely do i need to remove each down light and access the earth in a connector block. Assuming there class 2 fittings.

Customers not that keen on me removing them from newly decorated ceilings.

Also the customer doesnt want me to remove a percentage of socket and sw fronts. Is this ok as long as a record that as a lim??

Thanks

What is the EICR for? If your not going to be able to do sampling or not as much as you feel is necessary then the report is going to be pretty limited.

Downlights are always going to be a problem, especially if they are class II types. If the client will not allow you to take any down, I would still try to persuade him that you need to check a percentage, then yes you can only mark this as a LIM. You can still take an R2 at the switches and confirm the CPC is at least there.

Why will they not let you take socket covers off? Again by not checking a percentage of the socket outlets your rendering your report less effective. But if they insist then there is not a lot you can do.

Just make sure you document their opposition to your sampling on your report.

The house has been rewired by there family friend whos a sparky, just doesnt have part be to producde a cert. Iv said i can do an eicr as a i can report on my findings etc. But i havent done the install so can not produce an installation cert. Am i correct in saying this?

You are correct you can not supply an EIC for someone else's work, especially in regards to Part P. You could do the Testing and Inspection part of an EIC, but I can't imagine a building control accepting just that.

All you can do is as I pointed out, whether the building control will accept a report with these limitations is well who knows. You maybe lucky and get a building officer who is not fully aware of electrical procedures and accept it. On the other hand you may get someone like me who would not accept it to be honest.

On the other hand you may get someone like me who would not accept it to be honest.

he'll need to catch you when you've not got the hump! :joker:

This doesn't sound dodgy at all. A mate rewires the place but can't sign it off and the customer won't let you fully test it? Do you really need the work that badly?

All that aside, put the customers name on the form rather than just "the customer" and get them to sign the limitation(s).

If been to the property today. Persuaded them to let me remove a percentage of sockets etc and they dropped all 40 down lights. So I couldn't be held responsible for paint damage etc. All tested out fine. I've said I can only produce an eicr. Can I notify part p that testing has been done?

Can I notify part p that testing has been done?
there is nobody for you to notify. eicr does not require notification.
if labc want a cert then the the client or scheme the electrician is a member of should provide the required documentation.

as this sounds like it is not available then if labc insist you could try giving them the eicr - they may accept or may charge for an independant eic by approved spark

This problem seems to come up quite a bit now re the part P .

I have a builder friend who rents out his old house & prior to moving out he had a CU change etc.

The spark he used did not notify LABC and gave him no documentation.

Now the tennants are fostering a child and they need certificates and provenance re all work carried out.

They have contactyed LABC who have no record of any electrcal work so now he is making enquirys with the spark and he is not amused at all.

This local authority will allow a EICR in this case but others will not!

According to the LABC officer they are getting alot of enquirys now re work done in houses from potential buyers to see if it has been notified!

They shoulda used a part p spark to start with then coulda got a eic. I had no option other than eicr. I hope this is good enough for the labc.pay less initially and it comes back to bit eh

Reply to R2 testing and Earth loop testin down lights in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net