Discuss RCD protection on 3 Phase sockets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BMW

Hi
New to this part of the forum so go easy on me. Got a job which need some views on. It's a factory unit with smaller businesses running off the same incoming supply with separate private meters. Now one part is still running of the private un metered part so they want me to run a sub main install and 3 phase meter and 3 phase board. All ok so far. Now it's 3 phase as they have 2, 3 phase sockets (currently connected on old supply) which feed these industrial handheld car spray jets (its a car cleaning company).

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]The rest is single phase so plan to install a RCBO for the 13A sockets however the 3 phase one are a concern. Currently only supported by a 3 phase MCB. Now I don't recall but think they are either 20 or 32 Amp but are dedicated to this specific item so don't think they need RCD protection however although the actual plugs are inside Im still wary of the water ect. Problem is what's the best way to protect these and do I need to? Now as 3 phase RCBO's don't
exist I could put a 30MA RCD incomer as it's only going to be a 4/6 way dis board. Any thoughts Am I going over the top??
[/FONT]

Rcd's dedicated to each socket specifically. Either as part of the socket, in an enclosure next to the socket or next to the DB in an enclosure. Don't go down the rcd main switch route in a commercial property if you can avoid it IMO.

Yep agree with ^^^ or standard IP rated outlet with rcd protection upstream .... your dist board may limit your choice here or cause you to look for other methods for example an rcd 3ph unit can be added to a merlin gerin 3ph mcb but takes up 6ways in total.

Depending on where the socket is, you need to consider the location of the RCD. I’ve gone to sockets with integral RCD’s to find them so corroded they failed any test other than a hammer. If you can, keep the RCD’s indoors near the D/B.

Now as 3 phase RCBO's don't exist I could put a 30MA RCD incomer as it's only going to be a 4/6 way dis board. Any thoughts Am I going over the top??

Excuse me, but 3 Phase 4 Pole RCBO's do exist, ABB make some here in Blighty

Try this LINK

Hager make them as well (Image courtesy of TLC Direct)

HGCD463U.JPG

That Hager unit your showing is a straight 4 pole RCD ''NOT'' a 4 pole RCBO!! lol!!

Oops, posted the wrong picture...thanks for the spot!! :grinningelf:

Strangely on the Hager site they state they are RCBO's but only seem to have images of RCD's?? Could this be a case of "Lost in Translation"

Here is the ABB unit (well one of them)

2CSC40056F0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The unit that came up in your link is interesting, and an ABB unit that i haven't come across before!!
An adjustable 4 pole RCBO... I tried to look up the model number, to get the full data, but nothing is shown!! Anyone know anything about this unit??

presentation.jpg

You probably won't find a model number per se, because it is a 'composite' device, and is assembled from a range of standard parts.
This is so you can choose the In of the MCB's, ABB stuff is pretty versatile.

I would expect this to work out a more expensive option, it may be easier/cheaper to just add a standard RCD and MCB in an enclosure and wire it yourself.

I also notice this device has the option of a remote test button, which may be desirable in some circumstances.

See attached

Attachments

• DDA200_2CSB423001D0003.pdf
    369.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Enter the Monty Python team Vikings.
Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam
Lovely spam lovely spam
Lovely spam lovely spam

I like spam, I’m going to have:
Spam eggs spam beans spam spam spam and spam

Shadup! Bloody Vikings

Reply to RCD protection on 3 Phase sockets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net