Discuss RCD protection on a circuit supplying bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andys25

Hi all, my first post. I like to read and work for myself rather than rely on answers of others, but this one has me in knots.

I have been out to a customer who wants 2 outside lights on PIR's replaced. I also checked the CU and its the old BS3871 type and no RCD protection.

It appears from labelling of the CU that outside lights use the same circuit as the bathroom lights.

In my understanding if i replace the lights, inlcuding the degrading T&E that comes from the roof line with Hituf, i take responsability for that circuit. That circuit would have to be RCD protected as it is in a special location... so my plan is to install an RCD in the garage next to the CU, connect the offending lighting circuit through the RCD and into the bs 3871 MCB.

this then supplies me with RCD protection for the outside lights also.

However by mearly oepening the CU do i become responsable. the client does not want the CU changed just to replace lights...

Andy

please be gentle... im not proper yet, start my C&G 2365 in sep. start the long road to proper status from domestic installer...

agreed. you are responsible only for the lights and the cable that you fit. by all means, suggest fitting an RCD, but be prepared for FOC call=outs when a bit of damp in the outside lights trips the bugger.

You are not taking responsibility for the whole circuit, ie the bathroom section, just what you work on. As you are replacing like-for-like, and only surface mounting the cable, then no RCD protection is technically needed.
As my learned friends above had already said, test what you do, complete MWC and suggest improvements where you see they would benefit the client.

As above really.
You could install an RCD fcu adjacent to the cu and spur from the rfc, though.
Or, if there is a spare way.....no dealing with existing circuits.
The choice is yours.

Many thanks. I thought i had to test my circuit as i am replacing T&E with hituf and interconecting the 2 pir/floods to work in combination. i always assumed that i would have to test and be responsable for the supplying circuit also....

It's a good idea to test the circuit BEFORE starting work, to make sure it's suitable to work on. If you find defects you may end up having to walk away from the job (like I did yesterday) if the customer doesn't want to pay for it putting right. Sorry for being so dramatic!

Reply to RCD protection on a circuit supplying bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net