Discuss recessed floor socket installed in walls ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GT1

ok

so i have two separate jobs to do soon, both of which involve socket outlets to go behind new LCD TVs, the really thin ones..!
Both clients want the sockets behind the TVs but want to use the really close fitting wall mounts, which wont have enough room for the plug top.

So im thinking about sinking the socket box deeper than usual so the plug top sits level with the wall surface, and somehow "dressing" the edge of the wall with sealant or something, to stop it looking a dogs ****.

Then it occured to me that the recessed flush fitting items used in offices for floor mount actualy do the job nicely..?

Anyone having similar issues, or can recommend a product..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously one could wire it flush with an FCU.. however what it does it do to the warranty on your thousand pound TV if you chop the moulded plug off the cord..??

Fitting an FCE shouldnt affect the warranty as for mounting the tv that close that you cant get a plug in how are you going to
1 Get access to it should it be required ?
2 Provide adequate ventalation around the tv?
3 floor boxes would provide the ability to fit a plug top as you say but they are very deep would you have room to fit one?? If you have room to fit a floor box why not recess a normal socket?

These new wall mounts do put the LCD tv very close to the wall, and like any outlet behind a wall mounted TV you have to plug the telly in first then lift it onto the wall.
The only real issue I have with fitting say a metal clad and recessing it below the level of wall surface is the standard of finish.
I was hoping for something a bit more "made for the job".

I suggest you measure how much space you have between the telly and the wall with the bracket in situ. Don't lay the telly flat on the floor to measure, this can crack the screen. Then fit the bracket on the wall. Look at the back of the telly, sometimes you find a recess that can accomodate a plug and socket. You may also need a recess one for the HDMI/Sky/ariel connections as well. Don't forget if you going to really sink the socket in the wall, the moulded part of the flex hangs lower than the bottom of the socket. Another option is to have an FCU at low level and an in line rubber 3 pin plug (do they still make these?) behind the telly.

I'd just like to advise putting a control switch in somewhere for this.... if the plug is that tight behind the telly and the telly develops a fault which creates a fire you're going to have issues with isolation.

if the plug is that tight behind the telly and the telly develops a fault which creates a fire you're going to have issues with isolation.
hmmm i appreciate the point. But I have to say, I cant think of any house Ive been in where the socket outlet for the TV wasnt behind the telly anyway..! I for one wouldnt want to get near behind a smoking/burning TV to pull the plug, when the CU would be much much safer to get to..?

Another option is to have an FCU at low level and an in line rubber 3 pin plug (do they still make these?) behind the telly.
Problem with that is it means chopping off the manufacturers plug, and the implications on warranty..?

One option is to use a dual gang box with socket outlet on one side and double hdmi outlet plate on the other.
I may still go for the floor mount item yet because it deals with the flex leaving the plug top and the HDMI cable very well.

How close to the wall do they want to go? Just got a Panasonic LED backlit LCD myself, and the instructions state a minimum of 50mm from the back of the TV for cooling/air circulation.

The next question you need to ask is this, hoew the hell are the going to plug in a HDMI/scart/cable/sky lead if its less than 25mm away from the wall.

With respect to manufacturers warranty, most new items come with a normal IEC (kettle) lead so you could pick up a new one as easy as anything if it needed repairing in warranty...

Same prob when fitting my TV.... came with kettle lead (LG) so cut off plug and into flex outlet, switched from spur over with dvd/av stuff etc...

Couldnt even sit tv back on the bracket without the hdmi and co-ax plugs being crushed : so ended up chashing out a nice big hole, which was covered once tv was mounted.

This was in my own place but like you say would be nice to find a way of giving a proper finish especially if in a customers house

What is the wall made of......... nice if it was stud work, you could cut out a recess and make up some boxing to fit all your bits in, if that makes sense.

i have in the past run power from the closest socket into a FCU and from there into a 20A round JB which i have sunk into the wall behind where said tv is going, running in zones etc.(plaster depth is enough) Most tv's use a kettle lead which is not a permanant fix into tv. You can pick these up for about 2 quid, buy one, chop the plug off this and wire into JB and job is neat and snug to wall. The tv can then be isolated at FCU if req and there is no danger of anybody using this supply for anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to recessed floor socket installed in walls ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net