Discuss Recommendation needed for basic PIRs and exterior floods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What's flavour of the month for low-cost PIRs / PIR LEDs / LED floods in the 10-20W range? I need a few for the museum store; can't blow too much cash on them but equally I don't want tat that fills with water after 3 weeks.

Not sure if they will get linked together as they are quite widely spaced out around the various door areas. It's more so we can see what we're doing to lock and unlock but might help security a bit if the cameras don't have to rely on IR.

I like the Steinel IS1 PIR, cheap and reliable for a stand alone PIR, useful if you want to override with a remote switch and to link more than one PIR or more than one light, also provides a connection point for the short ----y little flex supplied with most LED floods. Cables can enter from the back or underside. I don't often buy LED floods with PIRs built in as adjusting the PIR for correct range generally means the flood is blasting light straight outwards.

I do like the Timeguard Night Eye Plus range, seems well made, select any add on module you require, connection box has 2 20mm holes for in and out wiring.

More professional (and more expensive), the Ansell Mira range of floodlights are great, we fitted quite a few last year, available as plain or with a built in photocell.

Many small 10-20W LED floods are under £15 now, cheap but expect to replace them after 2 years.

I used to love the little Timeguard EVO LED floods, PIR worked well and easy to fit but despite being factory sealed most fill up with water so no longer recommend them. Also fitted a load of customer supplied Toolstation LED floods for 2 different customers, all failed within 6 months.

For floods, I tend to use Osram LEDVANCE, they have an IP65 rating, installed quite a few now with no problems, and reasonably priced. For PIR sensors, I tend to use Steinel, but some models can be a bit pricey.

The cheaper you go, the more limited the PIR, I reckon. I like Timeguard and Ansell.
I used to really rate the Brackenheath ispot with microwave sensor, giving about 270 degree coverage, certain of 180 if wall mounted......seem to have gone off market, though.

Definitely NOT LAP floodlights. I see a lot of these failed, some with water in, some just because they're carp.
i've fitted a few LAP with no problems where price was a major factor. 1 being that you don't need a wiska box as the LAP ones don't have tails. cable goes directly in, a bit fiddly, but saves a few quids.

Reply to Recommendation needed for basic PIRs and exterior floods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net