Discuss Removing redundant lighting cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Beeg

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a light in the under stairs cupboard which is controlled by a switch in the hall.

The under stairs cupboard is being taken out soon, meaning the light will be redundant so obviously I would like to make safe and remove it.

There is no loop in/out at the light fitting itself as the live/ sw. live are connected to com/L1 at the switch, meaning the cable from the switch to the light fitting can be easily disconnected and removed.

My question is around making safe the feed to the light switch.

When we bought the house, the light was on its own 6A MCB. We have since had the CU replaced, and the light was moved onto the same circuit as the rest of the downstairs lighting. However the cable is fed direct from the CU e.g. not connected to any other ceiling roses. The cable runs from the CU, under the floorboards and then up into the light switch.

I’m reluctant to remove the cable from the CU for a couple of reasons:

1. There is no isolator between the meter and the CU, so the meter tails will still be live even with the CU main switch turned off
  2. I wouldn’t be 100% sure how tight to do the screws in the terminals after removing the redundant cable
  3. Is this notifiable under Part-P?

Is it okay to remove the cable between the light fitting and the switch, then terminate the remaining T&E from the CU under the floor in a MF Wago box, ensuring it is clearly marked to identify the cable is still live?

Thanks in advance.

TL;DR
Making safe redundant cable on lighting circuit
Well done for thinking of the safety aspects of working near live tails.
If you’re not confident taking the cover off the CU, then thumbs up for knowing your own limits.
That’s when disasters happen, and they come on here asking for help a little too late.

Yes, your plan is sound. Remove light, cables from switch and the switch itself… terminate the supply into wagos and then into a wago box… (not a ‘wago box light’ as they are not deemed maintenance free) and leave in floor void.

Isolate the circuit and test its dead before starting…. Of course.

Well done for thinking of the safety aspects of working near live tails.
If you’re not confident taking the cover off the CU, then thumbs up for knowing your own limits.
That’s when disasters happen, and they come on here asking for help a little too late.

Yes, your plan is sound. Remove light, cables from switch and the switch itself… terminate the supply into wagos and then into a wago box… (not a ‘wago box light’ as they are not deemed maintenance free) and leave in floor void.

Isolate the circuit and test its dead before starting…. Of course.
Thanks Littlespark, appreciate your help.

whereabouts in UK are you. 1 of us may be close and diss. from CU for a couple of beers.

Reply to Removing redundant lighting cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net