Discuss Rental Property (Scotland) Electrical Safety (Bonding) Legal Position in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sue B

Hi Guys (and I assume that you mostly will be guys..),

A quick introduction, I have spent most of my adult life working overseas as an aid worker, so am pretty used to surviving "less than optimal" electrical installations. But the wiring in this house that I have just moved into does seem to lack a certain something...

Equi-potential bonding that is. There is one wire clamped to the input pipe at the gas meter (not connected to anything, but it's a start) - but I haven't found any others.

I followed the gas pipe into the outhouse with the central heating boiler. Loads of (copper) pipes - no (copper) wires clamped to any of them.

I looked under the kitchen sink - more copper pipes, followed by a few inches of plastic pipe going to flexible tap connectors. No wires, other than the flex going to the waste disposal (which doesn't work).

I looked in the bathroom - a free-standing oil-filled heater within reach of the taps, wired to a switch-fuse outlet screwed to the window frame. A non-electric heated towel rail. Under the sink - copper pipes but no clamps or wires.

I looked in the utility room - 2A and 5 A round-pin (remember those?) unshuttered sockets beside the sink and wired into the light circuit. 13A surface mounted sockets spurred off to somewhere. Copper pipes to the sink. You got it - no sign of bonding.

Ah, you will ask - are there any RCDs? - what sort of supply incoming bonding is there? I know not. I haven't found the electric meter or the consumer unit. I guess that they might be in the cupboard under the stairs, which I haven't been given a key to.

I have, I think the word is, "misgivings".

But before I engage in polite conversation with my landlord - anyone know what the legal position is, when it comes to rented property in Scotland?

IIUC, private houses don't *have* to have any equipotential bonding at all. A visiting electrician may easily refuse to do any work to the installation without bringing this up to standard as well - but that's about it. Rental properties may have to have a gas safety certificate but they don't have to have an equivalent electric one.

The wiring regulations apply to the whole of the UK if you have concerns then your Landlords the first port of call
Pict

Hi Guys (and I assume that you mostly will be guys..),

A quick introduction, I have spent most of my adult life working overseas as an aid worker,
icon14.png
so am pretty used to surviving "less than optimal" electrical installations. But the wiring in this house that I have just moved into does seem to lack a certain something...
Ambience ?
icon6.png

Equi-potential bonding that is.Sorry There is one wire clamped to the input pipe at the gas meter (not connected to anything, but it's a start) - but I haven't found any others. :tt1:

I followed the gas pipe into the outhouse with the central heating boiler. Loads of (copper) pipes - no (copper) wires clamped to any of them.

I looked under the kitchen sink - more copper pipes, followed by a few inches of plastic pipe going to flexible tap connectors. No wires, other than the flex going to the waste disposal (which doesn't work).
Before making comment,do you understand the difference between earthing and bonding,because the clamping of pipes with bits of green/yellow may be neither here nor there

I looked in the bathroom - a free-standing oil-filled heater within reach of the taps, wired to a switch-fuse outlet screwed to the window frame.Are you aware of zoning for special locations such as a bathroom ? A non-electric heated towel rail. Under the sink - copper pipes but no clamps or wires. Ditto my ans 1

I looked in the utility room - 2A and 5 A round-pin (remember those?) unshuttered sockets beside the sink and wired into the light circuit. Are they live? 13A surface mounted sockets spurred off to somewhere.What is the circuit configured as and what overcurrent rating and what size cable ? Copper pipes to the sink. You got it - no sign of bonding.Ditto my ans 1

icon6.png

Ah, you will ask - are there any RCDs?-well are there any Rcds ?
icon7.png
what sort of supply incoming bonding no idea what you mean by thisis there? I know not. I haven't found the electric meter or the consumer unit.I bet the Pikeys may have I guess that they might be in the cupboard under the stairs, which I haven't been given a key to.Best to obtain one for occupiers "need of use"

I have, I think the word is, "misgivings". and slight confusion regards what is required perhaps

But before I engage in polite conversation with my landlord - anyone know what the legal position is, when it comes to rented property in Scotland? Nope

IIUC, private houses don't *have* to have any equipotential bonding at all. I'm now lost A visiting electrician may easily refuse to do any work to the installation without bringing this up to standard as well - but that's about it. Rental properties may have to have a gas safety certificate but they don't have to have an equivalent electric one.but the Landlord will certainly have a duty of care to ensure that the electrical installation is safe for continued use /QUOTE]

The wiring regulations apply to the whole of the UK if you have concerns then your Landlords the first port of call
Pict
That's useful information, many thanks. I've since emailed the owner.

Sue

Your welcome Sue, have a look round your place, is there any labels/stickers on the consumer unit, inspection dates and the like have a look at the appliances also for safety inspection stickers formally called PAT labels, if you find none that gives you an idea how well the place is looked after, you can always veiw it as a temporary place used as a base to look for something a bit more to your liking best of luck
Pict

Pict

So is the Landlord's and Tenant Act. The landlord has to provide a safe and serviceable electrical installation, which must be maintained to the required standards. Or words along those lines. Quote that if things get difficult, it usually has the effect of them filling their undergarments, and getting something done, and this has even more clout if you are in a House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO).

Cheers................Howard

Cheers.............Howard

Reply to Rental Property (Scotland) Electrical Safety (Bonding) Legal Position in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net